Moylan's Hopsickle Imperial Ale (Triple Hoppy)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shepherd5

Reaction score
Oh my, This beer is a hop monster! Has anyone here tried it? And 9.2% ABV From Moylan's Brewing Company, Novato, California.
It really is a great tasting beer.

Yes, Hopsickle is amazing. The sheer density of flavor-active compounds in that beer is accomplishment enough; that those flavors commingle in such a pleasant and enticing way is the reason people post to bulletin boards about it. :)

I met Denise on a guest brewer night at my local pub and was able to congratulate her in person.

I've had it once, but the new brewery is one exit down from my mechanic, so next time I'm up there I'm planning on stopping by to have some of their stuff fresh.

I've heard many judges rate it above Pliny (to personal preference)

They have it on tap at the J. Clyde in Birmingham, but I haven't tried it... The last few times I've been there on business I've been seduced by the Jolly Pumpkin that they have on tap. Next time I'm there I'm going to make sure and get a Hopsickle, I've heard great things!

I had this last night and was astounded. It is my new favorite... maybe. A local spot came up with a barrel of Founder's Double Trouble, my current fav. I am STOKED by that. I dream I can one day create something like Hopsickle.

I had the pleasure of meeting Denise and Brandon. I asked Denise how she got that much hop flavor in Hopsickle. She asked me if I'm using a hopback, I said yes and she said "use another one". That really sums up the beer. I listened to an interview with Arne of Marin Brewery, also owned by Brandon Moylan. He said when they brewed Hopsickle the first time, they used the mash tun as a hopback and put a bail of whole hops in it. Yeah, that's a lot of freaking hops.

...better than Pliny. Nope! I prefer the malt flavor of Pliny. Really good hop bomb...YES! luckily it tends to be on sale at my local bottle shop quite often. Im a huge fan of thier "Kilt Lifter," (scotch ale) probably my fav beer by Moylans.

Latest posts

Back