Hopped up red

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

perfectlemur

Reaction score
Goodevening all, I recently made my first PM brew, an IPA. I'm thinking of making my second PM beer next week and have been really digging on hopped up red ales recently, like Hop Head Red by Green Flash.

Does anyone have a recommendation on a good hopped up red ale? I found https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/india-red-ale-160034/ in the recipe DB, has anyone brewed it? Like it? Anything to change? Obviously I would need to try to convert it from AG to PM.

Thanks in advance!

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/green-flash-hop-head-recipe-97290/

Also see the links at the bottom.

So American Amber or Red, I see two different approaches to the grain bill. One is to use red caramel malts (20-40 or new ones like carared and caraamber) with 1-3 oz of chocolate or roast barley. The other way is to use just a 80 or 120 SRM crystal in a large quantity.

The whole style is a bit crazy too. With many AAs getting bigger and hoppier (and several IPAs getting darker and more reddish).

I did a red back in my extract days. I got good color and solid malty flavor from a combination of 1/2# caramunich, 1/2#crystal 20 and 2 oz special b.

If I could do a PM or AG version, I'd throw some Munich in here too.

pkeeler, I saw that too but didn't see if anyone had brewed it. Do you see benefits or pitfalls of going the red caramels w/ a darker malt or a lot of the dark caramels?

Kyleobie, I am going to do PM so could add Munich. I have no experience with it, if I added a few pounds of Munich would I subtract a little pale (malt and extract since PM) and subtract a little of my crystal/caramel malts?

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Here is what I'm thinking at the moment, any thoughts?

Grain Bill
-----
4.5 lbs LME (late addition, 15 min)
2.5 lbs Munich Malt
1.5 lbs Pale 2-Row
.75 lbs Caramel 40L
.19lb Chocolate Malt

Mash malts @ 154F for 60 min (6 qt)
3.25 gal boil

Hop Bill
-----
60 min 1 oz Simcoe
10 min 1 oz Amarillo
5 min .5 oz Simcoe

Dry hop
-----
7 days 1 oz Amarillo
7 days .5oz Simcoe

End results
-----
OG: 1.058
FG: 1.019
ABV: 5.2%
Color: 16 SRM
IBUs: 60

I try to keep my hops in 2 oz increments currently as that's how I buy them and I'm not smart enough to plan recipes ahead. I haven't done an Amarillo/Simcoe beer yet, though I like both hops and have read great things so though now may be the time.

EDIT: I forgot, I like using US-05 yeast but was thinking with a red an English Ale yeast might be best, what do you guys think?

Basic recipe looks good to me, although I can't speak to the amount of chocolate malt in a red.

With a PM, your mash temps won't make too much different, but you may want to shoot something around 150. I have a lot of difficulty with attenuation with extract.

I recommend a highly attenuating yeast like 05 for the same reason, but that's probably personal preference.

Thanks Kyleobie, do you think 1 lb of caramel 120L or .5 lb caramel 40L and .5 lb caramuncich. Would that be dark red enough?

TheManes, how does it compare to my plan?

I did a partial mash of the AHS Hoppy Red Ale last weekend...its fermenting now and the airlock sure smells good...we'll see how it turns out in a month or so.

I think crystal 120L might be too intense at a pound but I don't have much brewing experience with it at that quantity.

Great, I'll keep you posted on mine as well. Did you vary the recipe at all? I may hop it up a bit more, not sure yet though.

I actually added .5 oz Centennial at 30 minutes and .5 oz Centennial at 15 minutes because the recipe only had bittering and aroma hops, so i wanted to add some flavoring hops to the schedule...we'll see how it turns out

Thanks Kyleobie, do you think 1 lb of caramel 120L or .5 lb caramel 40L and .5 lb caramuncich. Would that be dark red enough?

TheManes, how does it compare to my plan?

This recipe has .5lb Crystal 20, 1lb Crystal 90, 3lb Munich, 5lb Pale, .5lb Aromatic, 2oz black roasted barley, and 12oz Honey Malt.
Beersmith says it will be pretty dark at 20 SRM.

I'm brewing this on Sunday, I'll keep you posted.

Back