Skittles in secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lunchbox

Reaction score
Has anyone ever used skittles in secondary? Not sure if the artificial flavors/colors would kill/stress the yeast too much, but it was just an idea.

PS- searching found nothing

I have not, and don't think it would be a good idea, but who knows? Probably a better idea is to just throw em in your glass of beer when drinking it, if your looking for a fruity flavor.

Homer: Got any of that beer that has candy floating in it? You know, Skittlebrau?

Apu: Such a beer does not exist, sir. I think you must have dreamed it.

Homer: Oh. Well, then just give me a six-pack and a couple bags of skittles.

Homer: Got any of that beer that has candy floating in it? You know, Skittlebrau?

Apu: Such a beer does not exist, sir. I think you must have dreamed it.

Homer: Oh. Well, then just give me a six-pack and a couple bags of skittles.

my thoughts exactly. thank you.

Can't speak to skittles in secondary but I have done the skittle vodka, worked great for me (little dangerous though, chill it and it just tastes like skittle flavoured juice and its 40% abv). But hey, try it anyway, let us know how it turns out.

I wouldn't add them until your beer is as clear as you want. As long as you're force carbonating I think you'll be ok. I can't imagine your yeast surviving such an artificial flavoring/preservative assault.

Has anyone ever used skittles in secondary? Not sure if the artificial flavors/colors would kill/stress the yeast too much, but it was just an idea.

PS- searching found nothing

I would guess that the artificial colors & flavors wouldn't affect the yeast much, assuming you don't add a pound of it. I'd imagine grinding them up would be the way to go.
I can't imagine wanting that in my beers, but to each their own homebrew :mug:

I don't agree with Reinheitsgetbot and feel that it is for close minded people.

In any hobby, you will always have purists. Nothing wrong with that, but some have to be preachy and condescending to feel superior. Those are so annoying. Kind of like vegans. If that's what you want to do, go on with your bad self, but that's you.

I think in this thread it was more of a joke, though.

On a related note, if you put skittles in a handle of bathtub vodka, it still tastes like ****ing paint thinner. Ask me how I know.

Back