Wyeast 3711 French Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Phenol- and flavor-wise, I've experienced the opposite of flars. Fermentation at 62-64 for me produced very hefeweizen-y flavors. I get the spice at high temps, with few other flavors. I've actually moved on from 3711 as my main saison yeast, looking for a broader flavor spectrum.
What are you using now for your Saison?

At what fermentation temperatures do you get those?
The lower end of the range. Maybe 65-70. I did three saisons on 3711 last summer at ambient temp; one in June, one in July, one in August, so at increasing fermentation temps. I'd estimate that the fermentation temps were 65, 72, and 80 respectively. I'd say the first two definitely gave me more pepper than the last one, and the last gave more sweet spice (though the last one also had an addition of rum and cherry in secondary, so that may be coloring my perception significantly.)

Edit: I consulted my brew journal and my recorded average fermentation temps were 68, 74, and 78, respectively.

My second time using 3711 in a Saison and this stuff has surprised me again. Took it from 1.064 to 1.006 in 5 days... so far. Still a little room to move, amazing yeast. Temp controlled at 23C (73F) Looking forward to this one.

So this yeast seems like an attenuating beast. I have a batch fermenting right now with it. Once the beer reaches terminal, how long do you guys let it sit before kegging? On my IPAs, I dry hop on about day 7 or 8 when I'm within a few points of terminal and keg usually on day 12-14. Does day 14 sound about right? Give it a few days after it reaches terminal to round out some fermentation by products and flavors.

My experience has been that it needs time to finish. I had a 1.078 brew that dropped to 1.008 at one week and then dropped another 4 points over the next two weeks. Another bigger beer dropped 3 points between weeks 3 and 5. I usually wait for 3 days of steady SG before I bottle. With 3711 I wait for 5 days.

Back