Cooling plate bending (it's Possible)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ggoodman

Reaction score
So I bought a Haier 4.0 Fridge off Craig list for $35 to use a a corny kegerator.
I brought to kegs with and slid the bottoms in to confirm it was wide enough...it was a tight fit and and depth looked perfect. took on look at the inside of the freezer and saw 4 screws. I though I was good so i bought it.

Get back to the neighbors where we making an AG IPA. He comes out and point out the Freezer is the cooling plate:mad: .

So i decided since I already bought it and im pretty handy might as well give it a go....

I removed all the mounting screws holding the freezer up and loosened the screw on the back of the fridge thinking It might free up some wiggle room. I placed a deep well socket behind the pipe and started bending a little at a time. watching for a kink to start form I kept going little by little until it was almost touching the back wall. success:ban:

I screwed it to the wall using the spacers that were attached to the ceiling of the fridge. upon tearing out plastic door on the front I plugged it in. and listened.

20mins later there was ice on the cooling plate and and I knew I was in business.

I acquired some chalk board paint(thanks Sean) and a heavily corroded single tap tower with shank(thanks again Sean).

She's all painted and looking gorgeous.

Still got to mount the tower drill and mount another shank.

I think my 5lbs tank will fit in there too. either way two keg's fit and I learned I could bend cooling plates.

I'll post pics up later. I'm still waiting on my other shank, stainless drip tray, and stainless rails to come it. my goal is one beer on tap by tonight.

Back