2 new brews from the weekend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riored4v

Reaction score
Been a month or two, but I finally got around to making a couple new brews. These are both firsts for me... a Black IPA and an Oatmeal Coffee Stout. The coffee will be added once fermentation is complete.

Black IPA so far seems awesome. No real signs of roastyness.. just has a nice pitch black color. Chinook, Simcoe, and Amarillo hops :drool:
The stout seems great as well. Flavor has some nice roast to it but the texture is fvckin awesome. The oatmeal made it very creamy.

Cant wait for these to be drinkable :ban:

Little bit o yeast

Finished product-

Hops for the Stout -

Spent grain for the Stout (right after this i broke my glass thermometer :mad:

Finished product

Very nicely done!!!
I have a question, does your hop bag seem to keep the hop particles from giving you an inch of trup after boil? I recently did an IPA, used pellets, and after 4oz of hops, it was rediculous the amount of hop trub and cold break.

Very nicely done!!!
I have a question, does your hop bag seem to keep the hop particles from giving you an inch of trup after boil? I recently did an IPA, used pellets, and after 4oz of hops, it was rediculous the amount of hop trub and cold break.

Yea, it does a great job of keeping the crud off the bottom. There's been a few times where i havent used it and wished I had..lol

Thanks for the pics. I don't think I've ever had a Black IPA. I need to look into this.

Yeah. THat's why I asked for a recipe. I'm curious.

Sorry.. i completely spaced it last night. I'll try to remember tonight.

Off the top of my head though...

13lbs 2-row
1.5lb Victory
1.5lb Carafa III
.5lb 60L
.5lb carapils
.5lb corn sugar

1oz Chinook @ 60
.5oz Simcoe & Amarillo @ 20
.5oz Simcoe & Amarillo @10
.5oz Simcoe & Amarillo @ 5
.5oz Simcoe & Amarillo @ 0

1oz Simcoe & Amarillo for dry-hopping

mashed at 150

couple updates.

i tried some of the Black IPA except it wasnt dryhopped. Flavor was great. Very similar to Stone's 13th anniv. The dryhopped version should be ready to drink by next weekend.

The stout samples tasted very good, but needs some time to blend still. I like how its heavy on the coffee right now though. I have it kegged but I probably wont start carbonating/serving for another month.

Dry hops for IPA

And doing a cold brew on the coffee

Added about 8oz total of coffee

Latest posts

Back