Wyeast 1056 confusing me

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pugilist

Reaction score
I made a sierra pale clone with this and it has been in the primary for 12 days at 66-70F, and there is no activity in the airlock. There is a very thin cake on the bottom of the carboy, but alot of viscous/bubbly yeast on the surface. The ferment was extremely active and looked like a big head of root beer.

This is my first time with this yeast, does this drop out slowly after it is done, or what?

Sounds about normal to me, though usually the yeast on the surface has subsided for me by 12 days. That is to say it goes from about a 2-3 inch foam head to one about 1/2 an inch or less.

How much did you pitch and how big is your beer?

I pitched a pint starter and its a 5gal extract batch. The surface cover is pretty thin, but it makes it hard to see as the krausen left such a mess on the inside glass.

Sounds reasonable to me. Take any hydrometer readings? It's likely done but that of course is the best way to check!

Back