WOW beers! What are yours?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My caramel Amber really turns heads. The strong caramel flavour and low hop profile make it palateable to BMC drinkers, especially caramel amaldenado sippers and fruity drink drinkers.

Have to admit that I love it too!

Seems to be a few votes for kolsch and hefeweizens. I really feel like an amateur home brewer now b/c I haven't tried either of these popular beer, at least to the best of my knowledge.

darrenbrews said:
This is one of my favorites at the pub. Would it be hard to make for a rookie?

-DZ

Not at all! I've modified it over time, but the base recipe was just Northern Brewer's Imperial Stout extract kit. I sliced up a vanilla bean and added it to the secondary for 4 weeks prior to bottling. NB has the full recipe on their site, so you can mimic it if you don't want to buy the kit. Just make sure to slice the bean lengthwise first, and then cut each half into 1/2" sections, then drop them right into the carboy. Good luck!

My lady is not a beer drinker in any way, but she just sampled my Red Ale with me and she loved it. Said she might have to help me drink it up. I'm pretty amazed with it too, and it has another week of bottle conditioning to go, can only get better.

This might be my WOW! beer, and I'm likely going to do this brew again. :mug:

-Darren Z

Couldn't repeat it but our first brew was plagued with volume issues and turned out about 2 gallons short. It ferments hard and then turned into the thickest smoothest porter you've had. I'm gonna try and do it again but there was too much wrong

My lady is not a beer drinker in any way, but she just sampled my Red Ale with me and she loved it. Said she might have to help me drink it up. I'm pretty amazed with it too

-Darren Z

I've changed my mind since my last post. My Saison is now my WOW! beer. I'm a rookie so nearly every beer I do that tastes decent I consider a Wow beer.

Most of the friends I have are Coors Light / Miller Lite drinkers who always drink from the can, think hoppy beers are skunky, and can't stand black beers because they taste too much like coffee. I'd like to brew a beer one day that changes the minds of those commercial beer lovers and makes them come begging for more of my brew.

If any, what styles of beer did you brew that impressed nearly everyone who drank it and changed their mind about home brews and craft beers?

-DZ :mug:

Nothing that I have brewed, but I have converted a few people with Dale's Pale Ale. The color is what scares alot of BMC drinkers away from craft beer IMO. If my goal was to convert people I would try to view something with a light color profile and slightly more flavor than your average BMC beer.

Couldn't repeat it but our first brew was plagued with volume issues and turned out about 2 gallons short. It ferments hard and then turned into the thickest smoothest porter you've had. I'm gonna try and do it again but there was too much wrong

I recently started brewing again and had the same thing happen with my Irish Dry Stout attempt. Getting lucky is awesome and crappy at the same time.

Kolsch is great, but if your looking to convert them, I'd go with something a little "stronger" in flavor. Wheats are different than most BMC, but aren't hoppy. They also tend to be quick turn around beers that are good young.

Have a new best beer, a DIPA that I just brewed. I call it "ABC" DIPA for the Amarillo, Belma, and Chinook hops in it. It is 9% ABV, 10z of hops total with 5 oz at 20 min and under plus 4 oz dry hop (used 1 oz Magnum for a FWH).

I won't say it is better than Firestone Walker's Double Jack ('cause it's not), but I feel it is pretty close quality wise. I like it better than most commercial DIPAs I've had, but not better than my favs like Double Jack and (my all-time favorite) Boneyard's Hop Venom.

Just did a pumpkin porter that I will now call my WOW! beer. I had to let it sit in the primary for 10 weeks due to a surgery, but it still turned out...Wow!.

I think every brew I do gets better.

As far as commercial beers go, my current favorites are

Boulevard Tank 7
Alpine Pure Hoppiness
Jester King Black Metal Imperial Stout

I am still wowing from the Hills Farmstead Abner I had about a year ago, WOW. And Edward was darn fine as well.

Ballast Point Sculpin gave a good WOW as well.

+1,000,000

I am still wowing from the Hill Farmstead Ephraim I had on a business trip to Burlington, VT in May. I was all about finding Heady Topper, had it, but Ephraim stole the show.

Got 2 week old Sculpin in my fridge right now. Smells like a can of Mandarin oranges...

English Bitters. I brewed one a while back as I had never heard of them and it is now my favorite beer to drink.

I had a friend swear up and down that homebrew sucked and he never liked it until I gave him some of Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde. This quickly changed his tune and has done so for others. My sister who mainly drinks mich ultra even liked it. The only change I've made to the recipe is 9ibs of 2-row vs 7ibs for a 5.5g batch.

Latest posts

Back