Re-using yeast for bread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fish

Reaction score
I also make bread and cheese and I was wondering if anyone has had luck using beer yeast cake from a primary and making bread with it. Is there a way of converting units in the recipe like 1/4 t dry yeast equals whatever in live yeast paste?

Thanks

Ale yeast and bread yeast are the same type. Dry yeast has about 8% the weight of re-hydrated yeast & if you looked at recipes for large amounts of bread, they generally measure the dry yeast by weight, so you could calculate backwards.

I've used yeast cake once with good results, but I used about 1/4 cup of trub and 1/2 lb of spent grains I had frozen. The results were heavy, but tasty. Took quite a while to puff up, as it was only about 65F in the kitchen.

I miss my gas stove.

I think a nice bread with a little beer taste might be good. Thanks for the reply.

fish!
Completely unrelated to homebrewing beer, I too have started making cheese. I've got a Colby and Cheddar just waiting for me to try. Do you know of any forum like this one, but for cheesemaking - or any other resources that might be helpful?
Thanks!

Fish - there was a thread that went on for a while several months back that was started by a guy who did the reverse. If I recall correctly, he was jammed up, needed yeast and figure that bread yeast was better than leaving some wort yeast-less for however long it was going to be until he was able to get some ale yeast.

There were pages of discussion about his foolishness in attempting such a thing but in the end the beer came out pretty well, all things considered, according to the brewer. The thread might still be around but I bet it was archived.

If you can use bread yeast for beer in a pinch, then why not the reverse?

I will look over the old bread yeast postings. Thanks SteveM.

iBeer no sorry to say I haven't run across any cheese forums. Haven't looked. What kind of cheese press do you have? I just opened my first cheddar and it was pretty good. Should have let it mature another month but couldn't wait. I still have a gouda and a parmesan and a swiss. Need to make a one soon.

Fish,
I just made the press from scraps of lumber and some PVC piping for the mould. It's just a simple Dutch style press.
I had made a Colby last fall, using my press for the first time (a prototype run), and I had trouble with it binding in the cheesecloth, so I was never convinced that the Colby would turn out good. I tried it last night for the first time, and I was right - it was still pretty humid (gummy almost).
After I noticed the issues with the press last fall, I made some modifications to it, and made the Cheddar. I haven't tried it yet, but I know the press worked well.

:off: Since we are talking bread....:p

I will put in a plug for the absolute best book on bread imho:

"Bread Alone" by Daniel Leader.

Latest posts

Back