Munich malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clann

Reaction score
Well I got some munich malt extract today and and wondered what to make with it? I have few specialty grains (crystal 60, 120, and some 80/- mix) and about 2lbs hops, cluster,columbus, centennial.
Any thoughts or should I wait and order something else to go with it?
Oh yeah, ale yeast (s-04, s-05, notty) :mug:

thanks pappers
I was thinking on the same line.
Now if I can just keep from over hopping this one. :D

I'm sure the extract is a 50/50 blend of Munich and 2-row. Using the extract by itself you're looking at something along the lines of an Oktoberfest or a Bock. In an Amber ale you would typically use about 10% Munich. You would need some light extract to cut it with.

With that being said I've used Munich as a base for ales before just because I had a 55 lb sack of it. The ales turned too malty to fall into a style but weren't bad.

Well, you could call it a red ale, I suppose :) In any case, I also use munich as a base malt sometimes, but I think I liked my results better than you did yours, from your post. With the extract, it should be fine, imho.

You can make an Alt with US-05 if you had some German hops. Anything else with that much Munich are lagers, Marzen, Bock, Dunkel or Schwarzbeir. American Amber is the best choice because you don't have any noble type hops (or lager yeast.)

Well, you could call it a red ale, I suppose :) In any case, I also use munich as a base malt sometimes, but I think I liked my results better than you did yours, from your post. With the extract, it should be fine, imho.

Actually I made some pretty decent milds and browns using Munich as a base. It seemed to work well with the roasted malts. I'd suggest not going too heavily on the crystal. If I was going to make an amber I'd cut the crystal to about 5% instead of the 10+% normally associated with it. But you're right, you can had some fine ales with it. Just might have to make some adjustments to better compliment the additional malty flavor.

thanks for all the replies everyone:D
went ahead with the red :mug:
and yes it is the 50/50 munich-two row.

Latest posts

Back