How much Victory?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_bird

10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
OK, doing a smaller beer this weekend, haven't finalized the plans but shooting for a brown ale with an OG around 1050 or so, not too hoppy, just 60 minute and flameout additions. Fuggles at flameout, haven't decided bittering yet. Prolly 20-25 IBUs.

Want kind of a nutty, toasty flavor. Mashing a little high (shoot for prolly 156) for some body and sweetness. Looking for some feedback on the specialty grains:

* Got two pounds of malt that I toasted at 350 for 35 minutes.
* Got a half pound of carapils for some more body
* 3/4 pound of chocolate malt; no roast, no BP, nothing else dark. Want this to be brown, not black.
* Got some crystal 40L (think it was 40L); prolly use a half pound.
* Got some Victory. This is the one I really need help with - how much do I use? Half a pound? A quarter? Full pound?

Thoughts? Comments? Random expressions of hatred and dismay?

I like victory malt! I used 1/4 pound in my Fat Tire clones, and I used 1/2 pound in my Sawtooth clones. My recipe for the Sawtooth clone called for the victory to be toasted. So I toasted it in the oven until browned. It tasted a bit like Grape Nuts, IIRC.

Anyway, my guess would be up to 1/2 pound. It would give the beer "a warm, toasty character" according to ebrews.com website. It also improves body and head retention.

I used 1/2 pound chocolate malt in my Pete's Wicked clone, and it's plenty dark. Not black, but way darker than I anticipated. I'm not sure what 3/4 pound would be like.

Lorena

Whatever you do, make sure you make enough to share with a fellow homebrewer who has just relocated and doesn't have any other friends around and is going to be alone without his family and will be broke until finances recover from the move and ................:cross:

evanmars said:
Whatever you do, make sure you make enough to share with a fellow homebrewer who has just relocated and doesn't have any other friends around and is going to be alone without his family and will be broke until finances recover from the move and ................:cross:

Lucky for you, I've got lots of stuff that's just getting conditioned right now :D. They'll be plenty.

the_bird said:
Lucky for you, I've got lots of stuff that's just getting conditioned right now :D. They'll be plenty.

WooHoo!!!!! I might be bringing a few of my own. That is if'n I don't drink the rest. Only got 5 more:( . Not the best but ok.

Oh, and Evan?

Bring a sweater; it's a wee nippy out in these parts. :D

Once you get settled, we should do a 10-gallon batch and split it. Good way for you to learn, and for me to not have to clean up :D

FWIW, I used .5 lbs chocolate, .5lbs victory and .5 lbs crystal 60L on my nut brown ale. Taste was initially malty, slightly sweet, finishing with a hint of nutty character. Color was a deep brown out of the bottle, with a slight tint of red when held up to the light. Overall it is a very good brew. When I brew it again, I'm not sure I'd change anything.

simzy said:
FWIW, I used .5 lbs chocolate, .5lbs victory and .5 lbs crystal 60L on my nut brown ale. Taste was initially malty, slightly sweet, finishing with a hint of nutty character. Color was a deep brown out of the bottle, with a slight tint of red when held up to the light. Overall it is a very good brew. When I brew it again, I'm not sure I'd change anything.

Thanks, that's the route I'm heading now, just with some additional home-toasted malt in there. How did you hop it?

I've been looking all over for my nut brown ale recipe notes, but I've got the suspicion that SWMBO may have thrown them away. But if I remember correctly(I found the notes, and didn't remember the hops correctly) I used 1 oz willamette 60 min, and .5 oz liberty 10 min.

If I changed anything, I suppose it would be a slightly higher a.a. content to balance out the sweetness a little more.

Latest posts

Back