Clone Beer Founder's Breakfast Stout Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DubbelDach

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Safale S-04
Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
2 weeks @ 65F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
4 weeks @ 65F
Tasting Notes
Tweaked BYO\'s recipe to match stats on Founder\'s website.
shamrockshake.jpg

16 lbs. American 2-row
1 lbs American Chocolate Malt
.75 lbs Roasted Barley
9 oz American Black Patent
7 oz Crystal Malt 120°L
22 oz Oats Flaked

.5 oz Nugget (Whole, 13.00 %AA) boiled 60 min.
.5 oz Mt. Hood (Pellets, 5.00 %AA) boiled 30 min.
.5 oz Mt. Hood (Pellets, 5.00 %AA) boiled 2 min.

2 oz Ground Sumatran coffee at flameout
2 oz Ground Kona coffee cold brewed, added at bottling
2.5 oz Dark bittersweet baker's chocolate at 15 mins.
1.5 oz Unsweetened chocolate baking nibs at 15 mins.

2 pkg. DCL Yeast Safale S-04 Top Quality Ale Yeast

Mashed at 155F for 60 mins. 1.33 qt/lb.

Again, BYO's Replicator numbers didn't match up to Founder's website, so I adjusted. Specifically, the IBUs are waaaay off.

I made an extract version of that recipe (also tweaked to match Founder's website, and with Nugget/Willamette). It turned out FANTASTIC, probably my best to date. I'm excited to brew it again now that I've switched to all grain.

I made an extract version of that recipe (also tweaked to match Founder's website, and with Nugget/Willamette). It turned out FANTASTIC, probably my best to date. I'm excited to brew it again now that I've switched to all grain.

Can you post that recipe please.

Can you post that recipe please.

Estimated Original Gravity: 1.070 SG (1.048-1.065 SG)
Measured Original Gravity: 1.070 SG
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.017 SG (1.010-1.018 SG)
Measured Final Gravity: 1.020 SG
Estimated Color: 65.6 SRM (22.0-40.0 SRM)
Bitterness: 27.0 IBU (25.0-40.0 IBU)
Alpha Acid Units: 9.3 AAU
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 6.97 % (4.20-5.90 %)

Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.00 lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 22.64 %
6.00 lb Northern Brewer - Gold (6.5 SRM) Extract 45.28 %
1.50 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 11.32 %
1.00 lb Chocolate Malt (Simpsons) (450.0 SRM) Grain 7.55 %
0.75 lb Roasted Barley (Simpsons) (575.0 SRM) Grain 5.66 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 3.77 %
0.50 lb De-Bittered Black Malt (Dingemans) (550.0 SRM) Grain 3.77 %
0.50 oz Nugget [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 20.4 IBU
0.50 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (30 min) Hops 6.6 IBU
0.50 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (0 min) Hops -
0.50 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Primary 3.0 days) Misc
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale

Back then, Founder's listed their IBU's much lower. They appear to have made a correction since then (60 IBU's), so this recipe would actually come in quite a bit lower in IBU's than their Breakfast Stout.

http://foundersbrewing.com/founders/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=66&Itemid=66

What is the volume of the kona at bottling? Is it 2 oz in 1 cup - 12 cups? Also, I was reading in another thread that it is a possibility that a chocolate layer builds up at the bottom of the fermentor, did you experience that?

I had a layer of chocolate on the bottom and some at the top before I racked over to the secondary. I racked mine onto 2.5 oz of moka java beans and .75 oz of american oak chips. It smells fan-frikin-tastic. I can't wait to taste this one!

What is the volume of the kona at bottling? Is it 2 oz in 1 cup - 12 cups? Also, I was reading in another thread that it is a possibility that a chocolate layer builds up at the bottom of the fermentor, did you experience that?

I easily have an inch and a half of chocolate on the bottom of my Better Bottle right now (9 days into 2 week 2ndary) Will hope that the s-04 compacts it slightly more in the next few days and will suspend my siphon right over the top of it with duct tape.

I easily have an inch and a half of chocolate on the bottom of my Better Bottle right now (9 days into 2 week 2ndary) Will hope that the s-04 compacts it slightly more in the next few days and will suspend my siphon right over the top of it with duct tape.

The recipe says 2 weeks primary 4 weeks secondary. Do you go 2 or 4 weeks in secondary?

Just consulted my calendar, and it looks like I'm splitting the difference. 2 week primary, 3 week 2ndary.

Need to bottle on 11/14 so it's ready to drink at the start of December.

Good lord, this post made me salivate. I must make this beer this weekend.

So here's the deal. I have 11.5 pounds of two row along with .5 pound of Crystal 10 already crushed in a grain sack together.

I need to add the rest of the things in this grain bill but how should I adjust for the .5 pound of Crystal 10 that is already crushed with the two row??

Thanks!

Wow. So this baby ends up at over 8%?? That's one hell of a breakfast.

I've never actually tasted this beer before. I'm going to brew it this weekend but my LHBS doesn't have Nugget hops at the moment.

What would you recommend I substitutue with based on how this stout is supposed to taste??

Will I be able to ferment this in a regular fermenting bucket or do you think I'll need a blow off tube because of the gravity?? I don't have a setup for a blow off but maybe I could just keep the lid loose. What did you ferment it in??

So one more question. I've never made a brew with chocolate or coffee before. So the coffee at flameout is just the grounds right?? And the chocolate, we're just talking about those amounts and you just toss the chocolate bar right in or are we talking powder.

If you have a chance, could you briefly elaborate on the coffee and chocolate additions. Thanks man!!

Just Curious. If you're not adding anything to the secondary fermenter on this one, why do you bother racking to a secondary at all??

Also for the OP, Founder's website boasts 60IBUs not 30, what's your rationale? Also what are your pre and post boil volumes?

Will I be able to ferment this in a regular fermenting bucket or do you think I'll need a blow off tube because of the gravity?? I don't have a setup for a blow off but maybe I could just keep the lid loose. What did you ferment it in??

DD knows better than me but I have my first batch in primary right now. At least in my experience the S-04 does not have much krausen so a blow off tube is not necessary. I see no reason a bucket would not work on this beer.

So one more question. I've never made a brew with chocolate or coffee before. So the coffee at flameout is just the grounds right?? And the chocolate, we're just talking about those amounts and you just toss the chocolate bar right in or are we talking powder.

If you have a chance, could you briefly elaborate on the coffee and chocolate additions. Thanks man!!

I didn't do the flameout addition as in retrospect DD said it may have added too much coffee bitterness. I believe he sandwiched the grounds between two coffee filters stapled together for that addition if you choose to go that route. I'm going to cold press one addition when I rack to secondary tomorrow and do the other one at bottling.
For the chocolate addition I just cut up a bakers chocolate bar into small pieces and added to the boil. It melts rather quickly in the boil just make sure to stir while it's melting so it doesn't fall to the bottom and burn.

Just Curious. If you're not adding anything to the secondary fermenter on this one, why do you bother racking to a secondary at all??

I'm sure you're familiar with the ongoing debate whether to secondary or not to secondary. Everything I've read says up to four weeks is ok in primary with out any ill effects due to autolysis. Which honestly covers most ales anyway. But since this is such a big beer I plan going 6 weeks so to be safe this will be my first brew I actually rack to secondary. That and the first coffee addition as I described above. I'm sure someone else will chime in if they disagree with my thinking.

How would maris otter look in this recipe? It is used in a lot of RIS's.

No clue... Just used it in a pale ale, though. Probably can't hurt... Would love to know about it when you experiment! :mug:

Also for the OP, Founder's website boasts 60IBUs not 30, what's your rationale? Also what are your pre and post boil volumes?

The original BYO recipe said around 60, then I checked Founder's site which said 30-ish... It has been posted somewhere around here that Founders recently changed their site to 60. So... I originally went with 30 and I'm not going to change back because I think it's delicious.

Also, some of the unsweetened chocolate and boiled coffee probably :confused: ups the perceived bitterness a bit, eh?

I just racked to 2ndary and I had about 4 inches of chocolate sediment. Some of that got racked along with the beer, so I am thinking in 3 weeks when I bottle, there's that much less choco-gunk to try to rack off of. I do know that clearing a jet black beer is not necessary. :D

Just racked this to secondary yesterday. Started at 1.096 and took a reading and I'm at 1.027. That's a tad over 9abv right now and I was getting some bubbles this morning. I tasted the sample and it was awesome. Can't wait for this one to finish.

Maybe Founder's up'ed the IBUs to 60 to for balance reasons. The BU:GU ratio with your recipe it about 0.33, while if I bump the IBUs to around 60 in my brewing software the BU:GU is about 0.66. I think I may use 1oz of Nugget instead of 0.5oz and see how that works out. Also, I think I'll try maris otter too. Buying the ingredients today. Let you all know how it turns out!

Bottled this on Sunday. I added two oz. of Starbucks Cafe Verona - Dark Cocoa Roasty Sweet and 2 oz. of Starbucks Columbia - Balanced Nutty coffee both cold pressed. I also added two Vanilla beans steeped in Captain Morgans spiced rum. I ended up at about 9.6 abv and the hydro sample was pretty tasty. Now for the long wait. I never really manage to keep my batches around for a few months before they are gone so I'm hoping I can age most of this for at least 6 months without any oxidation issues.Wish me luck.

Brewing a version of this tomorrow. Using Magnum and Hallertau because I have plenty in stock. Got some Gihardelli (sp?) chocolate to add to the boil. Also got a mix of French vanilla and dark french roast coffe to add to the boil. I am then going to add some Mayan Black roast whole beans soaked in Captain Morgan Private Stock to the secondary. Should be a great beer!

Gonna try to jack this one up to 10.5%.

Brewing a version of this tomorrow. Using Magnum and Hallertau because I have plenty in stock. Got some Gihardelli (sp?) chocolate to add to the boil. Also got a mix of French vanilla and dark french roast coffe to add to the boil. I am then going to add some Mayan Black roast whole beans soaked in Captain Morgan Private Stock to the secondary. Should be a great beer!

Gonna try to jack this one up to 10.5%.

Just 2 words of caution... The 8.3% is a good number. I'd worry about it being "hot" at 10%. In the future, I actually want to back it down to the 6.5%-7% range. When I did the vanilla latte version it was about 7%.

And what kind of Gihardelli? I'd worry about the oils if it's normal candy... Chocolate in beer should have as little oil as possible, ie: cocoa powder or baking bars.

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out. It does sound delicious! :ban:

Has anyone made an extract conversion for this beer? I am new to homebrewing and would like to make an extract version of this beer. It is one of my favorites.

And what kind of Gihardelli? I'd worry about the oils if it's normal candy... Chocolate in beer should have as little oil as possible, ie: cocoa powder or baking bars.

I used Gihardelli in mine. It was in the baking section of the grocery store so I assumed it was fine.I have another week before it will be three weeks in the bottle and I'll report back after I've sampled it.

Just 2 words of caution... The 8.3% is a good number. I'd worry about it being "hot" at 10%. In the future, I actually want to back it down to the 6.5%-7% range. When I did the vanilla latte version it was about 7%.

And what kind of Gihardelli?

I am gonna age this one until the flavor mellows out a little. I have had a few really good oatmeal stouts around 10% and I liked them. I like the added sweetness with this beer so we will see how it goes. That is the beauty of homebrewing!

The chocolate that I am using is the 60% Cacao and 100% cacao.

Kicking off the brewday in a few minutes. Will let you know how the day goes! I have some new equipment that I am still dialing in, so I plugged it into beersmith at 55%. I noticed that my LHBS grain mill's crush sucks so I ran the grain through twice this time and tightened it up, so I am not going to be suprised if I get closer to 70-75% which would give me closer to 10%.

Well, a successful brewday! I missed my mash temp by a couple degrees to the low side, but I can live with that. Ended up at 1.089 OG. Should be a good brew!

Now for the long wait . . .

I can't find Kona coffee at all, what can I substitute for this to add?

i just put this on tap today and it is FANTASTIC. i bought a 4-pack of the real thing to compare and it's very close -- i would definitely say this recipe is right on. i'm going to be doing this again soon for sure.

i did make a couple of changes when i made mine. The first is i used chinook for bittering (didn't have any nugget) and went with a full ounce instead of 0.5. I know there is a question about the claimed/actual/perceived IBU. I would say go with the full ounce. However, the second difference is that I did not add any coffee at secondary/bottling. That certainly has some effect on bitterness. Either way, I'm definitely going to make it again, and when i do, i will do it exactly the same way as I did this time. Also, I used wyeast 1728 scottish ale yeast just because i like wyeast

I am making this right now as my second ever all grain batch! For coffee, using some Royal Kona coffee delivered straight from Hawaii :). Using 2.5 oz of grounds at flameout, then I'll add some brewed Kona when I keg.

This wort tastes amazing! We actually stole a sample pre-boil and SWMBO is going to try making a "Breakfast Stout reduction sauce" to put on top of some pancakes!

Cracked a few open at a holiday party we had Saturday night and it was well received. One thing I noticed is the coffee is pretty prominent up front. Not really in a bad way I'm just hoping after some time some of the other flavors meld and come through.We'll see as I plan on putting at least 12 bottles down in the crawlspace and forgetting about them for awhile.

Last night I was drinking the original breakfast stout recipe beer I made a few months ago at my holiday party and splashing in some Kentucky Bourbon....Oh. My. Gosh. It turns the breakfast stout into Founder's Kentucky Breakfast Stout and it really is amazing!

If you are making the breakfast stout again definitely try this beer on bourbon soaked oak chips or just splash some real deal Kentucky bourbon into your glass before you pour!

Back