raised beds?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WatereeBrew

Reaction score
I'm thinking of building some raised beds around my existing hop mounds and filling them with vermiculite and compost for rhyzome production. I am planning on using some tree's that I just pushed up into windrows. when I say raised beds I mean 200 feet long by 7 feet wide, with partitions to seperate the hop varieties.
how deep should i make my beds, and is compost going to burn up my hops?
Is building raised beds going to make it any easier to propogate rhyzomes or am I better off just leaving them the way they are. I'm planning on cutting some roots this spring and starting another crop.
IMG00030-20090604-1131.jpg

Lots of people use raised beds around here, 6-8" deep. You should compost the manure first or put it on in the Fall.

As far as harvesting rhizomes, loose soil is good.

Mix a good deal if sand 15% ish into your beds too along with that composted manure and vermiculite. It'll help drainage and keep the soil loose to help with the rhizome growth. I mixed lava rock in as well, this is said to help keep air in the soil and help the growth of beneficial bacteria. probably not more than 2 - 5% of the total garden mix

Back