harvesting yeast (Nottingham)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patton191

Reaction score
Let me give you the whole story. I harvested yeast from a 5 gallon batch of Irish Red Ale. I used the yeast washing technique on this website. Then I had two large jars of it and I pitched them into two different things. One jar I pitched into some thawed concentrate apple juice, and then the other I pitched into a hard lemonade recipe I concocted. Now that the Apple juice and hard lemonade recipes are beginning to finish up I am wondering if I can re-harvest the yeast and use it for future one gallon batches?

I know that I CAN do it, but I am wondering since there is about an inch of sediment on the bottom of these gallon recipes I concocted, will I be over pitching majorly if I use them again?

I am rambling now, so I guess my main question is, what is the typical amount of harvested yeast you should pitch per gallon?

Thanks you guys have helped me tremendously already,

Patton

i might be wrong, but i think about 40 billion cells would be good for one gallon. There are close to 4.5 billion yeast cells in 1 milliliter of yeast solids.

People on this site have referred me to the Yeast Pitching Rate calculator on Mr. Malty (Mr Malty, too lazy to make a hyperlink, sorry). That site also has a excellent description of exactly how many cells you want to be pitching. (It's 750,000 cells per mL of wort per Plato).

If you've washed and saved your yeast, you might want to make up a few jars and just keep them and make starters from that original generation, rather than using a new generation each time.

Back