Can I do a Wheat Stout on top of...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonClayton

Reaction score
I currently have a IPA going that used a activator smack pack. I have a wheat stout kit on the way from AHS. Would I be able to make this stout on top of the trub/slurry from the IPA/Smackpack. If that's not a good idea, how about washing the yeast and then reusing it for the wheat stout?

Sorry if its a dumb question, just getting a handle on this reusing stuff. I won't be offended if you tell me to dump it and use a different yeast all together :)

I guess it all depends on how hoppy your IPA was. My IPAs usually end up tearing enamel off my teeth, so I won't let another beer touch that yeast. I even have seperate fermentors for my IPAs.

If it's an english IPA, or a lighter IPA, then it may not be as much of an issue. If you dry hopped...toss it. Unless you want a hoppier stout that is.

I guess it all comes down to personal preference.

I currently have a IPA going that used a activator smack pack. I have a wheat stout kit on the way from AHS. Would I be able to make this stout on top of the trub/slurry from the IPA/Smackpack. If that's not a good idea, how about washing the yeast and then reusing it for the wheat stout?

Sorry if its a dumb question, just getting a handle on this reusing stuff. I won't be offended if you tell me to dump it and use a different yeast all together :)

Did you filter out hop particles before racking from brewkettle to primary? Did you dry hop in the primary?

If you have hop fragments in the yeast cake, I would think that you may have an undesirable hop flavor/aroma to a malty beer.

I would pitch new yeast.

Just my opinion.

Eric

Hmm I'm not an IPA fan at all, but this kit was sent to us in error and the vendor let us keep it. It was a Columbus IPA from morebeer.com. It had 3 hop additions, but no dry hopping. I think I might just toss this yeast, I'm not a fan of hoppy bears usually, not even sure I am going to like this IPA but hey... free is free

Hmm I'm not an IPA fan at all, but this kit was sent to us in error and the vendor let us keep it. It was a Columbus IPA from morebeer.com. It had 3 hop additions, but no dry hopping. I think I might just toss this yeast, I'm not a fan of hoppy bears usually, not even sure I am going to like this IPA but hey... free is free

Nothin' better than free beer!:mug:

Back