Aging Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluespook

Reaction score
Hey, folks--I've got 5 gallons of apfelwein in a carboy that's been fermenting for almost exactly 6 months. I'm planning on holding it a year before tasting, but I'm curious about the timing of bottling. Is it ok to bottle now, or should I age it for 12 months in the carboy, then bottle. Issues/problems?

Thanks,

Blue

You are fine to bottle now. I fact you can bottle once you reach terminal gravity and the wine clears to your satisfaction. I think you are on the right track for some delicious AW.

if you age it in a carboy bulk age, you will get a more uniform flavor through the batch. if you age in bottles you will have possible sediment, less uniform flavors, and its possible to have one or two that have become corked

I would bulk age in the carboy. unless you need it for something else, you will get a better product. of course you can age in bottle too, its really not that big of a deal to do it either way. so what works best for you and do it!!

if you age it in a carboy bulk age, you will get a more uniform flavor through the batch. if you age in bottles you will have possible sediment, less uniform flavors, and its possible to have one or two that have become corked

I would bulk age in the carboy. unless you need it for something else, you will get a better product. of course you can age in bottle too, its really not that big of a deal to do it either way. so what works best for you and do it!!

What do you mean by "become corked"?

I should think the answer would be obvious. You should bottle this apfelwein immediatley so the carboy is free for another batch. :)

Skylerchabro, "corked" is a description of a wine that is infected with tca. Improperly prepared natural corks can carry this infection. Gets into the wine, and ruins the flavor/aroma. Most common descriptions are a mustiness, or a wet cardboard smell/taste. though why people know what wet cardboard tastes like, I oculdn't tell you. :) Depending on who you ask, it happens in as many as 1/10th of wines under natural corks.

I've got a feeling my first batch (2 weeks in fermenter now) won't last until 6 months, I'll be patient with the next one. At a minimum, I'll need the carboy for something else so into the bottles when it's clear! :mug:

I still haven't tried apfelwein yet. But did see some unfiltered juice on sale for $4/gallon here (best price I've seen in more than a year), so bought all they had. Sadly, that was only 2 gallons. DOn't have a free fermenter or carboy yet though, so just going to put them on shelf in pantry and keep watching the sale.

I should think the answer would be obvious. You should bottle this apfelwein immediatley so the carboy is free for another batch. :)

Skylerchabro, "corked" is a description of a wine that is infected with tca. Improperly prepared natural corks can carry this infection. Gets into the wine, and ruins the flavor/aroma. Most common descriptions are a mustiness, or a wet cardboard smell/taste. though why people know what wet cardboard tastes like, I oculdn't tell you. :) Depending on who you ask, it happens in as many as 1/10th of wines under natural corks.

Thanks etp.

BTW: I plan on using most of the apfelwein i'm currently making after a month and a half in the carboy. I'll be setting two or so larger bottles aside to prime and age for a couple months longer.

Just came across this post, so I’m going WAY back... anyone ever keg and then bottle carbonated apfelwein to put away? Or am I just talking crazy?

Generally one would keg or bottle carb..... unless you mean force carb in the keg and then bottle it.
Go for it, let us know how/if it works.

Back