Thoughts and advice on my Raspberry Chocolate Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zman

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Brewing Method: All Grain
Yeast: Nottingham Dry
Yeast Starter: none (may rehydrate yeast)
Batch Size: 5.5 US Gallons
Original Gravity: 1.057
Final Gravity: 1.018 ?
Alcohol Content: 6 %
Total Grains: 12.50 US pounds
Color: 113.1
Extract Efficiency: 76 %
Hop IBU's: 50.3
Boiling Time: 60 minutes
Primary Fermentation: 4-5 Days at 68F
Secondary Fermentation: 10-14 days at 68F

Grain Bill:
#10 2 Row
#1 Crystal 60L
#.5 Roasted Barley
#.5 Chocolate Malt
#.5 Flaked Barley
#1.5 Quick Oats
10 oz. Ghirardelli Unsweetened Cocoa
#2 Frozen Raspberries

Hop Bill
1.5 oz of Northern Brewer 8.5% AA for 60 mins
.5 oz of Willamette 4.2% AA steeped for 2 mins

My main Question is how to handle the addition of Cocoa Powder and Raspberries.
Chocolate Addition:
From what I have read about the addition of Chocolate (Cocoa) to Beer it seems that the consensus is to add it during the last 15-20 min of the boil. Does this sound right to everyone. I am assuming that if I add it to the secondary it will just decide to hang out at the bottom of the Carboy. If I am not satisfied with the chocolate flavor at bottling time I can just boil the cocoa with the priming sugar and add it that way?

Raspberries:

When I made a Raspberry Wheat (extract) I added the raspberries post boil for about 15 min while the wort is covered with a lid. I boil in a Keggle now so that kinda changes things a bit. I have also read that people add the raspberries to the secondary (properly sanitized of course) Is this a better way to go then adding them post boil? Is it better to let the raspberries soak in Vodka or Grain Alcohol before adding them to the grain? What is the best way to capture the chocolate and raspberry flavor.

Oatmeal:
I am wondering if I should add it to the mash or not. I know it will help mouth feel and Head retention. Is this overboard??

Thanks for all the advice,

i would add cocoa during the last 10. Fruit is usually added in secondary. I did AHB Choc rasberry stout but used real berries in secondary and it tasted like ass as of 2 months ago. Its been sitting for a while and mellowing but i used 1 Lb rasberries per gallon and i would have been better suited to use maybe 1/2 lb per gal. Very tart and offputting but its slowly getting better.....You could use malodextrine for mouthfeel instead of oatmeal. Thats what i usually use because i have yet to mash with oats.

...it tasted like ass as of 2 months ago. Its been sitting for a while and mellowing but i used 1 Lb rasberries per gallon and i would have been better suited to use maybe 1/2 lb per gal. Very tart and offputting but its slowly getting better...
Sorry to hear it, but thanks for sharing - it's good to know stuff like that.

What does the Maltodextrine do to help mouth feel? Does it help for head retention like Oatmeal does? Will it have any adverse effects on the rest of my recipe?

Latest posts

Back