Leinenkugel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jwcreeduncg

Reaction score
I tried linenkugal a few months ago. i tried their summer brew, the sunsetwheat, and the honey wise. i very much like them all, esp the their summer verity. what kind of beers are these? i not sure and would like to maybe at some point see if i cant try to brew something like it.

Well - one is a honey wise, one is an esp . . . . . what are you asking? Lienies are a regional Macro brew that actually are pretty good at times.

Pretty common around here and I know I have to take a few cases down to Texas every year!

I've heard their Honey Weiss is the base for both the Berry Weiss and the Sunset Wheat. Sunset Wheat is one of my favorites also, but it gets "poo poo'ed" all the time by some people who like craft beers..

I think the Sunset Wheat has the distinct flavor of Fruity Pebbles. The clone recipe I've seen adds Blueberry Extract to it at bottling/kegging time.

Joke Recipe:

Leinenkugel Sunset Wheat

5 Gal

7 lbs 2 row
3 lbs wheat
1 lb crystal 20
1 box Fruity Pebbles

1.5 oz Cascade

I have not brewed this recipe, Leinenkugel's uses lager yeasts so it sounds the most convincing. I plan on trying it someday, I think the Whirfloc seems silly for a cloudy wheat beer.

A REAL CLONE RECIPE:

Sunset Wheat Clone Brewed 12/23/07

There is no orange peel in Sunset Wheat

Ingredients:

1 lb Brewers 2-Row Malt (Rahr)
6 lbs Wheat LME
1oz Cluster Hops
1oz Coriander crushed
WLP840 American Lager Yeast
2oz Blueberry Extract
1 Whirfloc tablet (clarity)

Make a Yeast starter 48hrs early. (2/3 cup LME & 2 cups water)
Pitch starter at 75 degrees.

Steep grains at 155-165 degrees for 20 minutes.

Remove from burner-add malt extract & boil for 60 minutes
Bring to boil & add ½ oz hops for 60 minutes
Add Coriander for last 10 minutes
Add Whirfloc tablet for last 5 minutes
Add ½ oz hops for last 2 minutes

(Whirfloc will coagulate proteins & make them drop to bottom of kettle. DO NOT pour the last bit of wort from kettle into primary.)

Cool Wort to 72 degrees, shake, pitch yeast,

Keep primary at 72 degrees until fermentation begins (1 day?)
Once fermentation begins, keep primary at 50-55 degrees for 12 days
Bring to 64-68 degrees for 24-48 hrs for Diacetyl Rest
Transfer to Secondary for 3 weeks at 40-45 degrees.

During bottling, add 2 oz of Blueberry Extract to bucket with priming sugar (boil sugar NOT blueberry extract).

Bottle & store for 3 weeks in bottle at room temperature.
Chill in fridge at 35 degrees for at least 3 days before drinking.

NOTES:
First 3-4 days the primary ferment temp was closer to 57-58 degrees. Then 55F
It did not have airlock activity until day 3 or 4.
Pulled to 65 degrees on day 12 for 24 hrs (diacetyl rest). Went back to 55 deg on days 13-16.
Day 17 transferred to secondary. To 40-42F for 7 days then 32F-35F for 21 days

I think it's the fruit flavoring extract they use. IIRC, they use blueberry, apricot, and orange. The honey weiss, berry weiss, and sunset wheat are all the same exact beer with different flavorings added at bottling. Malts are wheat and pale, hops are Cluster.

Back