AHS Chocolate Raspberry Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chip

Reaction score
I just put this into the primary about 10 minutes ago. It came in at 1.056 and tastes more bitter than sweet. Very easy instructions to follow and a well packages kit. Very easy to follow along and get the brewing process right.

Nice job guys for a quality product that looks like only I can screw up.

"do the puyalup"

sorry.. had to get that out. been awhile since i've seen that name or saw someone from there..lol

Hopefully it turns out good... i was considering picking up that kit as a first stout.

I have the same beer in the primary right now although mine came in at 1.069 but that's because i added alcohol boost to it. Mine's been in the primary for almost a week now and it's just about done but i need to wait for my belgian to finish so i can have a secondary free. I did mine PM. Did you use extract? This was my first PM and so far it tastes REALLY REALLY good!

Yes I did the extract and followed the instructions step by step. The friend that got me into this hobby started me with PM recipies and I just keep doing them. I sort of like the steeping process as it makes the kitchen smell so darn good.

And yes Riored - I do the Puyallup every year.

No need to start another thread.....

I let this beer sit in the primary carboy for four weeks before bottling. I sampled the beer yesterday (7 days bottled) just to see what the green beer tasted like.

I must say it's pretty darn good for being so young. The mouth feel is very light with a slight hint of chocolate. The raspberry notes are very strong at the finish. I can't wait to see what the beer tastes like a few months from now.

For $22.00 - $28.00, it's a great kit.

I have been tossing around the idea of trying this one but am still stuck on the fence. I am having trouble getting past the chocolate and rasberries in my beer. Is this one worth a go?

Dude. Go for it. I didn't know if i would like it but it is incredible. All of my friends that have tried it love it. With my batch, you can taste more chocolate than raspberry and it is VERY well balanced.

riored4v said:
"do the puyalup"

sorry.. had to get that out. been awhile since i've seen that name or saw someone from there..lol

Hopefully it turns out good... i was considering picking up that kit as a first stout.

ZZ Top Rocks. :rockin:

It is the same as their chocolate stout recipe but wit a oz bottle of raspberry flavor that you add at bottling. I brewed this myself pitched the yeast on 4/30 and just xfered it to secondary today. my og was 1.059 and when i took my reading today it was at 1.033. I called Austin Homebrew and they said FG should end up around 1.015. The sample tasted great can't wait till it is ready. They no longer have the kit on their site. You could use their Double chocolate Stout $30.99 and add the Raspberry Flavor $2.99.

It was actually the special last month, I got 2 of the all grain kits for about 16 each. I did one with out the rasbery and one with, they should come out fine once I get an open keg to transfer them to and carb em up.

Again Austin Home Brew did a great job. And when you talk about AHBS products spell out the name Austin Home Brew as Forrest the owner searches for the full name. If you ever have problems he is on here every couple of days to answer questions. For this very reason I typed out the name of the store so he would find this thread.

By the way Forrest I know you are reading this, I would still like to offer you the opportunity to carry my alien love child, don't worry when it bursts through you chest it won't hurt that much.

Ah crap. I saw this one on sale last month and I *almost* bought it. It sounds like a DELICIOUS recipe. I hope Forrest brings it back in the future because I will definitely buy it.

Do they still carry this? I don't see it on their site.

I bought it like two weeks ago on sale. Brewed up 10 gal of it this past Saturday AG and had an OG of 1.064. :ban: Think I'll let it sit for a month then rack it onto real berries not the extract that came with the kit.

Dang. I looked on-line last week and was planning to buy it for a gift for my brother. His birthday is next month. I hope it turns out well.

Just finished up my keg of this but the good news is a friend of mine bought a kit to have me brew for him about a month ago. Might bottle it this weekend (sitting in secondary for a week but has been brewed for a total of 3). The great thing about it is he just got one case of 22 oz. bottles and told me to bottle those and keep the rest! This beer even tastes great when it's green! I think mine actually turned 6 weeks old last week or the week before and it's already gone! I couldn't keep from drinking it early. Too bad they don't offer it anymore but i should still be able to order the individual ingredients to make it again!

If my raspberries recover from last year's drought well enough, maybe I'll boil some down to syrup and try them out in my chocolate stout this year.

Boy I hope the patches are okay. Years of work would be wiped out if they do not recover! :(

Just kegged this and I hit an OG of 1.055 and brewed it on 4/26/08 and kegged and checked FG today (5/21/08) and it was a little high of 1.026. Almost a month in primary.

Tasted great.

Should I have any issues with the FG of 1.026, it should be around 1.015? I know I should have checked graivty before I kegged it, but to late now!!!!

Just kegged this and I hit an OG of 1.055 and brewed it on 4/26/08 and kegged and checked FG today (5/21/08) and it was a little high of 1.026. Almost a month in primary.

Tasted great.

Should I have any issues with the FG of 1.026, it should be around 1.015? I know I should have checked graivty before I kegged it, but to late now!!!!

No you will be fine, you kegged it. If bottled and it started back up, then yes. Kegged you can adjust the carb rate.

I bought it like two weeks ago on sale. Brewed up 10 gal of it this past Saturday AG and had an OG of 1.064. :ban: Think I'll let it sit for a month then rack it onto real berries not the extract that came with the kit.

how many pounds of berries will you rack onto? im doing a 5 gal bacth and i deffinitly would rather use real berries

I kegged mine yesterday, I tried a small sample today. It's not carbed completely yet. I did notice the raspberry taste was almost like wax or something, does the taste change much as it ages? I think I liked it better without the raspberry.

I used the extract. I used it twice in the past (apricot and blackberry) and swore I wouldn't use it again because it has some kind of chemical taste to it. I read all the great things about the chocolate raspberry stout so I used the extract anyway. I'm kind of wishing I skipped it.

Does this recipe have lactose or milk chocolate in it? I only ask because im lactose intolerant and want to check this out

Has anyone tried making this kit without the raspberry flavoring, and used fresh or frozen raspberries instead?

I'm curious as to the comparison of one vs. the other.

When using friut I go one pound per gallon. So I will be using 10 pounds. :drunk:

thank you. i will be trying this using real berries then. i think im gonna try and make hard rasberry lemonade since i have a lemon tree out back and im gonna need something to use the extract with....

so i was trying to figure out the gravity contribution of fresh rasberries if i was to use them so heres what i did: Since i figured i would be using a pound (16oz) per gallon(4 qts) of fruit i used 4 oz of fruit in a quart of water and boiled ot break down all the fruit. I topped off to a quart of water to compensate for boil off and added to a hydrometer tube. Since water at 60deg is 1.000 i took a reading of the rasberry/water mix and got 1.009. Not sure if this is valid but since its the same concentration that i would have used in my brew scaled down i figure it will contribute 9 gravity points to my brew. Any thoughts?

I think you're supposed to add the fruit in the secondary, not in the primary. So, the fruit contributes flavor, but nothing really to the gravity.

I saw this kit on the promotional page of AHB and picked one up. Who knows when it'll be back again.

Frozen raspberries are ok to use, right? Do y'all just toss them in as is, or put them through a blender first?

They should be added to the clearing tank. but because they do have sugar in them it will ferment again.

You also should not boil the berries......

They should be added to the clearing tank. but because they do have sugar in them it will ferment again.

You also should not boil the berries......

i only boiled them to figure out specific graity...my blender was broken and i needed someway to get them disolved in the water quickly...boiling broke down the cell walls pretty well

brewed today...SG settles at 1.053....well see how the rasberries make it. i have been freezing and thawing them and rasberries will be reasy to go in in a week.

So how long have people been letting this one age? I brewed mine on the 24th and its happily bubbling away in the primary now. I planned on at least 3-4 weeks in the primary then either a secondary or keg it and let it age in the keg. Thanks

So how long have people been letting this one age? I brewed mine on the 24th and its happily bubbling away in the primary now. I planned on at least 3-4 weeks in the primary then either a secondary or keg it and let it age in the keg. Thanks

Mine is going to be 4-5 weeks in the primary (when ever I get around to racking it) then two weeks on the berries then I will keg. One keg will go right into the kezzer the other will sit at 62* until the other keg is kicked.

Latest posts

Back