What to brew while warm?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suicid

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Suppose I don't have a ferm chamber and ambient temp in the room where fermentor is all the day at about 23-25C (73-77F). It won't last long but anyway, I have it during about 2 months.
What you'd recommend to brew while this period?

I aready have a batch of saison ongoing. Anything else?

Thanks in advance!

I fermented a wheat beer at those temperatures this month, using T-58. (half 2-row, half wheat malt, Saaz hops.) Pitched it in the mid 60's and just let it rise. Don't know how it turned out yet, I'll be bottling it this weekend.

Saison, or wit, or apple cider are probably your best bets.

hefeweizen is a great style for warmer weather but...
I have the same dilemma here in Texas & I use a "swamp cooler" with frozen water bottles & can maintain ferm temps in the mid sixties. I just make sure to use yeasts that do OK in that range... s-04, s-05, wb-06 etc.

Insulated chamber and 1-2 frozen two liter bottles. Swap the bottles twice daily. I've tried this for a couple of brews when my ferm chamber has been tied up. I used an igloo cube style cooler, with a makeshift top made out of foam board and a hole cut in the center for the neck of the carboy to stick out of. Brew whatever you want.

Any Belgiam style. Saisons go easy. Get some French Saison yeast and watch it eat all the sugars. Many variations possible. Reliable work house one that. Or Belgian pale ale. Or a Quad (Westveleteren let their core temp reach 27C, so that could be done). Wit with fruit is also nice.

Any Belgiam style

That is not necessarily very good advice. Most belgian strains require temp control at the beginning. If they get too hot too soon they produce fusels. When I first started brewing I took that advice and ended up with some rocket fuel. The room was 75 degrees and the brew got well over 80 once it took off.Most Belgian straind need to be kept cooler for the first few days and then can be ramped up to finish.

Saison yeasts are the only yeasts that can handle warmer temps at the beginningand not produce fusels.

That is not necessarily very good advice. Most belgian strains require temp control at the beginning. If they get too hot too soon they produce fusels. When I first started brewing I took that advice and ended up with some rocket fuel. The room was 75 degrees and the brew got well over 80 once it took off.Most Belgian straind need to be kept cooler for the first few days and then can be ramped up to finish.

Saison yeasts are the only yeasts that can handle warmer temps at the beginningand not produce fusels.
Good point, I agree. My mistake there. Thanks for noting that. Perhaps a swamp cooler or often changed wet towels can be sufficient, but it´s hard.

So, which saison yeast do y'all recommend when the house is 80 degrees? I assume it will work for any belgian-ish style, not just saisons...

I just tried a bottle of my T-58 wheat beer. It's not fully carbed yet but close (bottled last Saturday). It's kinda spicy banana-y with no "rocket fuel" or other bad tastes. I pitched it cool, but house was in the high 70's while it was fermenting.

Belle Saison and 3711 are the easiest to use and not very temp sensitive. They both will just go to work and take the gravity down very low. I think they will ferment the spoon if you stir too long. They are beasts.

I like the flavor of 3724 better, but it does require a little more dilligence with temp to get it to finish low. You need to make a big starter, aerate well and be able to get the temp up high for it to do it's job quickly. Ramping up to 90 works well for this yeast. I use a cooler and an aquarium heater to get the temp up when I use 3724.

I too prefer other yeast strains to 3711 in terms of flavor, but I have come to use 3711 since it just works and I end up doing saison with flavor additions to it. Then the yeast character is present, but not the focal point. For example, my best recieved beer so far is a session saision using 3711 to which I added green tea and lemon. The lemon from actual additions plays very well with the esters and the green tea delivers depth combined with the spice notes. That on top of a light malt backbone. The yeast is always the secondary flavor, but it does that very well. Plus 3711 delivers a great smooth mouthfeel, having this 3,6%er not feel thin.

How about a really hoppy saison, maybe use the grain bill & hop schedule for an IPA but ferment with a saison yeast, I did a beer like that a while back and I loved it

How about a really hoppy saison, maybe use the grain bill & hop schedule for an IPA but ferment with a saison yeast, I did a beer like that a while back and I loved it
Can work nicely. I´d probably go big on the hopstand on that and then use the dryhop to refresh it before bottling.

Water chemistry should come in especially big with that kind of brew though.

For Belle Saison, I'd go slightly easy on the hops since it ferments out so dry that there's less sweetness to balance them.

I pitched WY3724 into wort at 108 degrees, although the temp in my garage rarely gets over 92. Took a 1.062 wort to 1.002, and tastes great. If you don't want to lock yourself into just Belgians, I use WY1318 London Ale III frequently at low-70s ambient, and it always does fine. It's a fruity ester bomb, but you can use it to brew just about any English or American style.

This. Look at what Jamil does with his Belgian beers temp-wise.

I second more saison.

You could also do a witbier or another estery belgiAN style beer.

FTFY. Also, see above.

Belle Saison and 3711 are the easiest to use and not very temp sensitive. They both will just go to work and take the gravity down very low. I think they will ferment the spoon if you stir too long. They are beasts.

I like the flavor of 3724 better, but it does require a little more dilligence with temp to get it to finish low. You need to make a big starter, aerate well and be able to get the temp up high for it to do it's job quickly. Ramping up to 90 works well for this yeast. I use a cooler and an aquarium heater to get the temp up when I use 3724.

You can always pitch 3724, then follow it with a 3711 starter at high kraeusen a couple of days later - you should get much of the flavor of 3724, with the attenuation of 3711. I think there's some threads around on doing that.

If you use the brulosopher technique of holding back some starter to propagate yeast, then you can continue to propagate pure strains, but blend them in the fermenter.

Back