Anyone have any lines on CHEAP soda/corny kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

janson745

Reaction score
So I have been brewing for about 7 months and I decided that I would jump into the kegging game as of yesterday. I picked up a pretty sweet deal from my LHBS with 2 ball-locks and a Taprite Dual regulator and a 10 lb tank for a pretty good price. But to me, the $55-$60 price tag on additional ball locks seems pretty steep. I know they were much more affordable and plentiful about 2-3 years ago, when my buddy was able to get them at $8-20 a piece.

Now, I am a realist, so I know that there is no way I'll get them that cheap, but what can I do to get them for $20-30 a keg?

Any help is much appreicated!!!

That seems to be close to the going rate. Beverage Elements (online) as some cheaper (I think about $43) but when you add shipping you get closer to $60. I picked up two the other day from craigslist for $45 a piece. You can also watch the For Sale forum here on HBT.

Some folks buy from a guy in FL through ebay at a cheaper rate, but then again, shipping gets ya. I think that's McEvers, but don't hold me to it.

Now, I am a realist, so I know that there is no way I'll get them that cheap, but what can I do to get them for $20-30 a keg?

Check out Craigslist 24/7 and pray that someone is selling some with absolutely no idea what they are worth.

$50 is what I consider a good price right now....and don't think that they are going to be available for less any time soon. I bought some used from AHB for $45 a couple weeks ago.

Otherwise...pray my friend...pray for a miracle.

I'm in the same boat. Subscribed to see if anyone has some hot leads on cheap kegs...

There likely won't ever be any more kegs for cheap, in general. They're not being produced any longer. Fixed supply, coupled with high demand = ever increasing prices.

Yep, I've recently come to terms with the fact that there is no longer a good supply of cheap kegs. 2 years ago, I bought 5 kegs from a guy on craigslist for $25 each and I wish today that I had've bought 10 or more. I've been looking all over, creeping on craigslist, looking at online stores and ebay. Finally, I've decided to just bite the bullet and buy a few from my LHBS which is selling them for $70. It's a few bucks more than I would pay if I really scrounged online (after shipping), but I will be able to go through and select the kegs I want.

You will occasionally find them on craigslist for a good price. They are really in demand though and I've found that they are usually gone within an hour or two of being posted.

Best of luck to you. If you find a deal, stock up!

It's getting harder and harder to justify buying used cornys when you can get new ones for around 100 bucks if you catch them during a sale.

It's getting harder and harder to justify buying used cornys when you can get new ones for around 100 bucks if you catch them during a sale.

Guess I'm more frugal then...cause I would rather save $40 and put some elbow grease into making a used keg viable again, and then taking said $40 and putting it towards ingredients to fill them used kegs.

But that's just how I look at it....

Guess I'm more frugal then...cause I would rather save $40 and put some elbow grease into making a used keg viable again, and then taking said $40 and putting it towards ingredients to fill them used kegs.

As banged up as some of my used cornies are (some of the posts are pretty banged up, a handful are a real PITA to seal and others have handles that are in pretty rough shape), I wouldn't mind spending the extra money to avoid the headaches. Considering I'm going to have them forever, I have no issues spending the extra cash up front.

Yeah, I got a line on a REAL cheap one....Free, I'm picking it up now!

Sorry I could not help it;)

I must say, a new one for a hundred buck seems like a good investment, as to have a few of these, properly cared for they will out live you. I think I will buy a couple more when I can afford them, and be set forever.

I'm in the same boat. Subscribed to see if anyone has some hot leads on cheap kegs...

I'm in Northern Maine... and I may have just stumbled across a deal on kegs for $35 each.. but I need to get a sh*tload of them for that price... let me know ASAP if you're interested..

A year ago I got a couple for $25 from a friend. Now the best I usually see is $50. I found one for $30 on Craigslist this weekend that will get me through for a while.

All the LHBS's around Lansing sell them for $50. Not sure you are going to find them any cheaper unless, as someone above said, you find someone who doesnt know what they have.

I will pass on the info to him. And let him give you guys the info. I know he used to be a member here

Mceverdistrib.com has ball locks for right at 32.00 each (B grade) plus shipping. I got A grade tanks for 38.00 plus shipping. If u can ship to a business address it will save a bunch there as well

Have fun
Rick

Is the supplier in northern PA still good? I travel between ny and pittsburgh and would glady make a Pit stop for supplies.

It was the last I checked. I'm assuming u take 80 in between both cities. It's about 15 miles off of 80, just take 81 north and he's right off exit 164. Ill pm you his phone number if your interested.

Especially when buying new.

I bought the only 4 ill ever need, atleast for the forseeable future at $50 a pop.

I couldnt imagine buying 4 new ones, double the price. Our LHBS always has a good supply of used kegs that are pressure tested, and they give an extra set of O rings for the valves.

No reason to buy new IMO.

So I have been brewing for about 7 months and I decided that I would jump into the kegging game as of yesterday. I picked up a pretty sweet deal from my LHBS with 2 ball-locks and a Taprite Dual regulator and a 10 lb tank for a pretty good price. But to me, the $55-$60 price tag on additional ball locks seems pretty steep. I know they were much more affordable and plentiful about 2-3 years ago, when my buddy was able to get them at $8-20 a piece.

I had good luck with the following post on craigslist asking for Soda Containers.

Wanted
Soda Syrup containers - $20
I am looking for soda syrup dispensers like these. If you have any laying around, I would like to buy them.

I posted a picture of a keg from Google images.

I had a guy call me and sold me 12 and two 20lb Co2 bottles for $125.

You will have the best luck by asking for soda syrup containers as the general public doesn't know what a Corny Keg is. If they did, they wouldn't sell them for $20.

YMMV

Pratzie said:
It was the last I checked. I'm assuming u take 80 in between both cities. It's about 15 miles off of 80, just take 81 north and he's right off exit 164. Ill pm you his phone number if your interested.

I'd like that phone number if its still viable to get kegs from him.

I was at the St. Louis city museum, which is basically an old shoe factory filled with random donated junk/scrap that has been welded and glued together into a massive playground (Google it, its an awesome place), and saw a wall made of corny kegs. I couldn't believe it, there had to be hundreds, stacked 3 to 4 high for a couple hundred feet. I'll try and find the picture I took and post it.

I was at the St. Louis city museum, which is basically an old shoe factory filled with random donated junk/scrap that has been welded and glued together into a massive playground (Google it, its an awesome place), and saw a wall made of corny kegs. I couldn't believe it, there had to be hundreds, stacked 3 to 4 high for a couple hundred feet. I'll try and find the picture I took and post it.

What a waste!

Keep looking, I got mine a couple months ago at $45 locally. The guy has a warehouse full of them but will not ship. $35 seems to be a great deal, $45 really good, $50 -$55 - going rate and anyone going for more is gouging. There are still plenty of used ones available so $100 for a new one would be "BLING" to me.

Added: If you go for pin locks instead of ball locks you can get them a little cheaper.

I found a guy on Craigslist getting out of the hobby and hadn't brewed for awhile. He had no idea what they were worth now and was selling 8 ball locks for $15 each. He let me have all 8 for $100. They were dusty but in great shape and just took a few minutes to clean. I actually beat a HBT member to him by just a few minutes. So keep an eye on craigslist like a hawk.

CL around here seems to be all people who believe that nasty, dirty, not under pressure Corny's are worth $55-70 apiece. I do not know who keeps propigating the Corny shortage rumor, but I wish they would stop. I am just going to wait until Beverage Elements or someone similar has another batch of the refurbed kegs in stock and I can get several at a reasonable price. If I decide to start paying $55-60 for kegs I may just give these a try. http://www.homebrewing.org/5-Gallon-Plastic-Pub-Keg_p_3197.html

Check local scrap yards. I just ordered 50 kegs from one (40 of them are pre-sold). Pinlocks, but at this point I'm not going to be fussy.

Very interested, please do PM his phone number. I'd be interested in 4-6 at least..

I got one off Craigslist last week for $40. They don't show up very often around here :(

Use the CraigsList Search Alert services that are free out there on the web.

Its how i found my Fermentation freezer.

You give them your email and the CL Search criteria and it will email you any time something new shows up in your search.
If you use your phone for email your almost always going to be one of the first people to see the new posting, which means you get first dibs.

I had good luck with the following post on craigslist asking for Soda Containers.

Wanted
Soda Syrup containers - $20
I am looking for soda syrup dispensers like these. If you have any laying around, I would like to buy them.

I posted a picture of a keg from Google images.

I had a guy call me and sold me 12 and two 20lb Co2 bottles for $125.

You will have the best luck by asking for soda syrup containers as the general public doesn't know what a Corny Keg is. If they did, they wouldn't sell them for $20.

YMMV
Just made this post on my local CL, hopefully it will get more hits than the one I made asking for Cornelius kegs

Back