Pellet hops v Leaf

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timcadieux

Reaction score
I did an IPA recipe this weekend past which asked for 2oz of Cascade. I happened to have some packaged, cascade hops right from a farmer. They come in a freeze dried, sealed bag. When I opened it they expanded and 2oz filled a 1cup measuring cup. I didn't have time to do any research at that time but now i'm asking, is 2oz of pellets equal to 2oz of leaf?

The recipe asks for another 2oz of dry hopping and i'm seriously questioning the sheer quantity of hops that have already gone into it.

Yes, they are essentially equal. Same weights so effectively the same amount of whole hops went to make the pellets. Some people like pellets better for some purposes while other like whole better for some purposes. You'll figure out what you prefer after using them a bunch of times. I totally understand the expanding aspect you refer to. I vacuum seal my grown whole hops and they'll expand 3-4x when opening and fluffing up.

2 oz dryhops, whether leaf or pellets, is on the average to low end, for an American IPA... if that's what you brewed.

Pellets offer slightly more IBUs when added to wort above 180 F. In a cold dryhop, this does not occur. Some swear that leaf hops offer more aroma in the dryhop whereas others fervently disagree and say pellets are king in the dryhop. Put me in the latter group. The only way I get more aroma from leaf hops of the same variety is if they're way fresher and better quality by comparison.

Last thing, next time can I chop them up finely, there was absolutely no way this was fitting down my funnel, into my carboy?

Yeah, you can chop them up. But I've found(like many others here) that pellets are better for dry hopping in a carboy than leaf.
I dry hop almost excusively in the keg now, so leaf is better. It's way hard getting leaf into a carboy, as you now know.

One other thing about leaf vs. pellet - the utilization is somewhat different. I think it's +10% for pellets. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong - my memory is less than perfect).

I got them from a Hop farmer locally, 4oz for $7.95 (cascade).. if I recall the price

Last thing, next time can I chop them up finely, there was absolutely no way this was fitting down my funnel, into my carboy?

Get a canning funnel. It's wide-mouthed and fits the carboy opening perfectly... or make a cheap cardboard funnel with some tape. Both options work for leaf hops.

One other thing about leaf vs. pellet - the utilization is somewhat different. I think it's +10% for pellets. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong - my memory is less than perfect).

Utilization, as it pertains to IBU extraction, only matters when the hops are added to hot wort and the alpha acids are isomerizing. Utilization is a non-issue in the dryhop... 3 oz. is 3 oz.

Back