Fire extinguiser CO2 tank?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newell456

Reaction score
I have read that a fire extinguisher tank can be used as a CO2 system for a kegerator. Anyone know what type to look for and have any tips on converting one?

I think you can get a CO2 tank filled, at a fire extinguisher supplier, not actually use a fire extinguisher for a CO2 tank.

tgreene7 said:
I think you can get a CO2 tank filled, at a fire extinguisher supplier, not actually use a fire extinguisher for a CO2 tank.

According to this site: http://www.truetex.com/carbonation.htm you can use an extinguisher tank, but it was a bit vague as to what type of tank to look for:

"Another source of gas is CO2 fire extinguishers, which are made typically from a 20 lb tank, except painted red and fitted with an extinguisher squeeze-valve and horn. . . . I have . . . adapted the high-side of my regulator to connect to the extinguisher valve. When empty, the gas dealer can then remove the squeeze-valve and extinguisher horn and install a standard twist valve top on the tank. Tanks should also be inspected internally and subjected to a hydrostatic pressure test after some years, so if you are not swapping tanks to refill, you should make sure your dealer is inspecting the tanks on the right schedule."

I guess it all depends on what the filler in my area is willing to work with.

Back