Dogfish Head 90 min IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bagsworth

Reaction score
I tried the recipe for the 90 minute IPA clone that I received from BYO magazine but there is one thing I do not understand about the recipe. The last part of the recipe goes as follows: Dry hop in secondary fermenter at 71 degrees for 3-5 days, then cool to 32 degrees. Can anyone tell me what they mean by cooling it to 32 degrees because I dont quite understand what they mean to do here or when exactly to cool it.

I understand that I need to cool it to 32 degrees but I guess what I do not understand is exactly how long I should cool it at this temp for.

I am going to guess here that the cooling is to help drop the hops out of suspension.

How long has it been fermenting before the dry hopping?

At 32° F You can keep it in there quite a while undisturbed and it will improve the flavor (cold conditioning). Minimum though I would say at least a week at that temp. Watch the hops too, if they are still floating at the surface, which they will for a while, wait til it clears.

Without knowing the recipe though I can not really give a specific suggestion. Depends on the gravity, amount of hops, other ferment temps, etc. etc...

Yep cooling it to near freezing really slows down the yeast and for that matter all the 'energy' in the tank. Many things will fall out - yeast, hop protiens, chill haze protiens, etc. This will result is a cleaner beer that places more emphasis on the hops but still has that kick in the mouth ale flavor.

If you can't chill to 32 degrees for a time then it will still be drinkable.

Thank you all for the information, I am going to put my carboy in a fridge now and let it sit for a while and see how this comes out.

Back