Brew System

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cantaloupe

Reaction score
I am in the very beginning stages of planning a HERMS system. I of course started by looking at the BRUTUS system and was planning on making some modifications to make it HERMS. On top of currently owning a 3 pot system, I was unexpectedly gifted a system with three kegs and the fittings recently, so I technically have 2 systems. Because my brew team continues to expand I was hoping to basically build a double system, so we could double batch and possibly make 4 batches in a day, but it also means I can't pile the money into one system because everything has to be done twice.

So my newest idea that popped into my head is to do do gravity from the HLT to the mash tun and recirculate the mash with one pump. Will it work ok pumping up to the HLT like that for recirculation to maintain the mash temperature? Then I'll gravity from HLT to MLT for sparge and Pump from the MLT to the BK. I think it will work but I'm just asking because I don't see that many designed in this way.

Secondly, instead of plumbing/wiring low pressure burners and temperature controls/valves, I was thinking of keeping a burner under that hot liquor tank, bringing it close to temperature, then maintaining or adjusting temp with an electric heat stick of some sort plugged into a simple johnson control or something like thatl. I figured I already have the high pressure burners so I won't have to wait for the electric burners to heat it up, just maintain during mash and sparge. Any other thoughts/concerns about what to do and not to do on a system like this would be appreciated

Back