American Pale Ale *3/16/2011*

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ironic yeast choice for an "American Pale Ale" with a label featuring the Gadsden flag.

By the way, the WLP005 flocculates like a madman. Only yeast I've had to hit with the whisk to get the starter out after letting it settle in the fridge overnight.

This is my first experience with this yeast. I did not choose it but it was part of the kit that I bought from my LHBS.

I never actually thought about the fact I am making an American style Pale Ale with a British yeast and plan to use a label that will encompass the phrase "dont tread on me". I think I need to rename this beer a synonym of hypocrite. How about Imposter APA? Lol.

This is my first experience with this yeast. I did not choose it but it was part of the kit that I bought from my LHBS.

I never actually thought about the fact I am making an American style Pale Ale with a British yeast and plan to use a label that will encompass the phrase "dont tread on me". I think I need to rename this beer a synonym of hypocrite. How about Imposter APA? Lol.

No problem using that yeast, just funny. Then again, it's not as if American Brewers started from scratch and made entirely novel beer.

If you're going for something from revolutionary times, it could be 1783 Ale (end of the war) or something along those lines, since it has American Hops and British yeast living in peace.

Apparently, there is no limit to geeking out on beer. :mug:

I had a suggestion of Benedict Arnold APA which I liked. There is nothing more enjoyable then spending time being a beer geek. I first noticed that I had this issue when I was talking hops with a female bartender at a local bar that serves a predominantly craft selection.

Nice post! I like all the pics!

BTW South Hills Brewing rocks! Decent prices on their grain, hops, supplies, etc. I thought their kits were a bit overpriced though.

*4/13/11*

I want to throw a quick update here to let anyone reading this know that I bottled this beer today. Like I mentioned before I racked and dry hopped this beer too early so fermentation did continue in the secondary. I was very surprised at the amount of trub the ended up at the bottom of my carboy. I thought fermentation was further a long that it was, my mistake for using a non-calibrated hydrometer.

There was surely some lost aroma from dry hopping before fermentation was finished although I am not worried about it. The beer still had a very very nice hoppy aroma but wasn't so intense as to burn your nostrils. There were also no off aromas that I could smell so I think the extra time sitting helped.

I didn't take a gravity reading or taste it. I really was not in the mood for beer at the moment. I know, I know. Blasphemy. The color was also a clearer, deeper amber color compared to the sample that I took a picture of. We will see what I have in those bottles in a couple weeks from now. When I open up some of those bottles I will post a picture and make some notes on the taste for everyone.

Thanks for taking the time to read my thread!
- Jimmy

Back