Rauchbier Bonfire (Classic Rauchbier)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cactusgarrett

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WY2308 Munich Lager
Yeast Starter
BIG one!
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days at 50°F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
3 days at 63°F
Additional Fermentation
9 weeks at 33°F
Tasting Notes
BIG smokey, malty flavor.
This recipe is inspired by Schlenkerla's Marzen.

70% efficiency.
Beta rest at 148°F for 30min.
Alpha rest at 162°F for 30min.

Amount___________Item
11.25 lbs........Smoked Malt (Bamburg Ger)..(9.0 SRM)
4.5 lbs...........Munich Malt...............(9.0 SRM)
2.00 oz..........Hallertauer [3.80 %]....(60 min)
0.75 oz..........Tettnang [4.30 %]......(60 min)

The latest iteration of this finished fairly low (1.007 halfway through lagering) for style, but i missed the alpha temp by 5 degrees (low). So, if one attempts this, i would stress the importance to hit that alpha temp, or even raise the beta temp or shorten the beta time.

On a taste note, this is slightly less smokey than Schlenkerla's marzen, which i think makes this a MORE drinkable (versus sipping) beer by comparison.

I've Been considering a similar recipe for awhile. Did you smoke your own malt? How?

I did not. My LHBS has 3 or 4 various smoked malts, and i used the german smoked (Bamburg). You can do a search around the boards here to find out how to smoke your own malt - I know of at least two very popular threads.

Update - this took "Honorable Mention" in the best of show round in the local pro-am contest. The main "concern" from two of the three judges (they admit it's nit-picking, too) was that it finished too sweet. Considering they were sampling an FG of 1.007, it could probably use a little bump in IBU to balance that. Overall it was liked, though, with an average score of ~46.

Hi, I was just wanted to make sure that by secondary fermentation you don't mean bottling, and is the 9 weeks done in bottles or the fermenter? Thanks

Back