Ready To Start

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeadYetiBrew

Reaction score
Alright guys me and my cousin went to a local brew store today and got everything we needed and i mean EVERYTHING. Let me know if you think we did good...
We got the kit for $91 it included the following

• Plastic Primary which doubles as bottling bucket
  • Glass Carboy for secondary
  • Auto-Siphoning equipment
  • Bottle Capper
  • Airlock
  • Sanitizer
  • Bottle Brush

Then we got our ingredients

6 lbs Extra Dark DME
6 oz. Chocolate Malt
8 oz. Caramel Malt
1 oz. Chinook Hops
1/2 oz. Hallertauer Hops
Dry Ale Yeast
Packet of 10 refined Irish Moss tablets

That brought our total price up to $153. The man who ran the store also gave us really good tips, a taste of his personal beer (was great), and a taste of some above average barley whine (aged 9 years in oak barrels). :mug:

Oh yeah, also included in the $153 was a 20 qt stainless steel brewpot and bottle caps... I think we did pretty well... What do you guys think??? It's a good thing we got people helping us with the money part lol...

I think you did very well...I would however recommend a thermometer. If you don't have one it will be hard to steep your grains otherwise

Until you mentioned the brewpot, I thought you got hosed. but yeah good deal. (9 years in oak barrels, I want some of that barley wine.)

I think you did fine. Some small things you might want fairly soon:

-Hydrometer
-stick-on thermometer strips for bucket and carboy
-Another bucket so you don't have to use one as primary and botling bucket (what if you want to bottle when you have another brew in primary?)
-bottle & carboy rinser
-extra airlocks (dirt cheap)
-an addition carboy (so you can have more than one brew in secondary)

Sorry I left out the Thermometer and Hydrometer we did get those... We probably won't be using plastic as primary for too many batches. We're going to do another batch as soon as we have the current one into the bottles. Then we're going to possibly buy another carboy for primary.

That barley wine was oh so good :tank:

So we went back to the local brew shop tonight and spent even MORE money.... We got a second Carboy and more ingredients... We figured out a system to have two brews going at once... We got a Porter and a Brown Ale.... Brewing starts tommarow T-24 Hours

Back