Basement bar w/cold box ideas and build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TroyD

Reaction score
I'm in the process of building a fairly large bar in my basement and I've come across some ideas of building in an insulated box for use as a cold box to store my corny kegs along with various other cold items such as bottled beer and mixers.

The plans I've come across actually use a small dorm style fridge connected to the side of the built in cold box for refrigeration. With small computer fans placed in the fridge to circulate the cool air into the insulated cold box because the natural cooling from the cold plates in the fridge doesn't cause enough convection to move the cold air out of the fridge very far. I've done quite a bit of reading up on this and have heard of quite a few success stories.

Now for my dilemma... The cold box I'd like to build is a bit bigger than what I have plans for, thus needing a larger cooling or chilling/cold plate to keep it cold enough throughout. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience of tearing down an old full size working fridge or smaller chest freezer to harvest the cold plates, compressor, and other components to mount inside the cold box for cooling purposes.

I would like to be able to have enough room for 3 corny's and a shelf half way for storing bottled beer and various other mixers inside this cold box. I'm figuring the width dimensions would need to be around 36" or so and the depth is only possible in being about 27".

Any input would be appreciated. I'll post up the build process once this is all figured out. :mug:

I have just begun building a fermentation chamber with nearly identical dimensions on the inside. I scored a mini standup freezer that is about 4.6 cubic feet (32" tall x 22" wide & deep) for nothing. My plans are to extend it from the opening 36". My inside dimensions should be 34" long x 24" deep x ~32" tall. I was planning on using two fans for circulation. There is a thread here somewhere where a guy took the guts out of a mini fridge and made something similar to what you are looking for, but I don't think his was as big as you are looking for. I will see if I can locate it again.

That could actually be a consideration.... the smaller chest style freezer I was intending to use as guts could possibly be cut down and used for the compartment itself instead of attempting to remove the cold plates. Does anyone have any idea where those plates are located in a chest freezer? Are they in the walls of the freezer itself.

That might be tough then if I were to just cut a side opening to use as the door access.

If this is your plan you might be better off trying to find a stand-up freezer to convert or something along those lines...

Of course, you could go bonkers like John Beere! :)

If this is your plan you might be better off trying to find a stand-up freezer to convert or something along those lines...

Of course, you could go bonkers like John Beere! :)

Don't have the room for a converted full freezer or a large stand up refrigerator without taking away a lot of bar space.

Who is this John Beere you speak of? I like going bonkers on home improvement stuff :rockin: I just fired up the sauna I installed in the basement last night and boy was that nice.

One option you might have is to use a chest freezer but customize the top as part of the actual bar that opens up to allow access to your kegs. You could even install a tap tower/coffin box on top of that.

Back