Ancient Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danculwell

Reaction score
So Revvy posted a link to this article.

Is anyone else excited about this. I can't wait to try it. I'm also pretty excited about harvesting the yeast. They haven't gone commercial yet but when they do I'll have to get some. They did mention in the article (the wired one linked in the article) that they are going to patent the yeast so no one can use it commercially. That shouldn't have any affect on me as a homebrewer though, right? I'm sure many commercial beers have patented and copyrighted strains. Anyway I think the subject is very interesting. Thanks Revvy for sharing.

35 U.S.C. 271 Infringement of patent.

(a) Except as otherwise provided in this title, whoever without authority makes, uses, offers to sell, or sells any patented invention, within the United States, or imports into the United States any patented invention during the term of the patent therefor, infringes the patent.

Although there may be case law that would define whether private, in-home use, would qualify. Besides, the cost of bringing suit against a home brewer vs the potential to recover for damages would be silly. Furthermore, I doubt they could patent the yeast itself. But that is not to say they couldn't patent the process of reviving ancient yeast.

. . . . . I'm also pretty excited about harvesting the yeast.

Pretty certain if they go through the trouble to try and protect the yeast, they will be filtering it out and using something else to bottle. If you're speaking of harvesting it yourself.

From the Wired article:

His only worry is that the unfiltered nature of this beer means that some of his yeast will invariably settle to the bottom of the glass or bottle, and an unscrupulous brewer could collect that and use it in another beer. The microbiologist has applied for a patent on his strains and has sequenced the genomes so he can tell if someone else has stolen it. "I am the keeper of the family jewels," Cano says. He isn't about to let them fall into the wrong hands.

Looks like it's only available on tap for now.

I am certain that Wyeast or White would license it if it was something that was worthwhile (i.e. profitable). Montanaandy

Awesome, going to try to get a growler this week at stumptown. Its only a few miles away, should be worth it. Oh, if I cant then I will for sure save the swill and hopefully grow some "Uh Um" beasties of my own for my personal use that is...

Back