Getting ready to start my first batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigred

Reaction score
I am completely new to brewing beer, or anything for that matter. I have done a lot of reading but just want to make sure that everything I'm planning is right and I have a couple questions that I couldn't find answers to.

So, I am going to be making a Coopers stout kit. For the first time I am just going to follow the instructions to make it simple. I am planning on mixing it up in a large pot. Now my first question is, can I just pour it through a big funnel into my carboy? Or do I have to do something else? I am sure I will have a few more questions along the way but that is my first big one.

Thanks

Sure, you can pour it through a funnel into the carboy. Just make sure you sanitize. For a new brewer, always remember that sanitation after the boil is the most important thing you can do for your beer. I know a lot of LHBS's sell big funnels that also have a back splash on them so its really easy to pour from the pot and not lose any from spilling on the floor.

Glad to see you joined the hobby, welcome to HBT, and have fun!

Thanks for the reply,

I already have a couple more questions that I thought of. First is about a blow off tube. I have heard people talking about them, but I don't fully understand just when you would use it? And my second is can you use a capper and caps on screw on beer bottles?

Thanks again for helping out a newbie.:mug:

Twist off bottles are usually not strong enough to take a home brewing bottle cap.

Blow off tubes serve the same basic function as an airlock. Sometimes the fermentation can rise out of an airlock and clog it up, a blow off tube is just a sanitized piece of tubing that goes into the carboy, and the other end into a bucket of sanitized water. So if anything does come up that high it doesn't clog anything.

You can also click the chat link at the top and ask these questions to the guys in there for immediate responses

Thanks for the reply,

I already have a couple more questions that I thought of. First is about a blow off tube. I have heard people talking about them, but I don't fully understand just when you would use it? And my second is can you use a capper and caps on screw on beer bottles?

Thanks again for helping out a newbie.:mug:

Blow-off tubes are used for certain kinds of beer (I'm positive someone on here knows which kinds) that have, shall we say, 'vigorous' fermentation? A blow-off is basically a standard bung with a length of tubing shoved through the top. It collects the excess gas/krausen (particulate stuff) and vents it through the tube, usually into a container of sanitary water so the gas can escape but nothing can get into the carboy.

Also, for my blow off tube, i found that 3/8 OD 1/4 ID tubing fits perfectly into the rubber opening on the lid of a plastic fermenting. Thats what I use for my blow off. A blow off is never a bad thing to use and eventually you will get a feel for what beers/yeast strains will and will not need them

Okay, so I changed my mind and picked up a premium bitter mix. I am just about to start, but just wondering if I should use bottled water that you would put in your water cooler or tap water, and if tap water, should it be hard or soft water?

Thanks

Anyone? I have everything sterilized and ready to go, i just need to know what type water is suggested.

Thanks in advance.

Tons of threads about it, but if the water doesn't taste like chemicals, it's usually safe. Most of the minerals & additives either boil off or sink to the bottom of the kettle as far as I remember. Never hurts to get a local water report too.

Thanks for the help so far guys, I got finished mixing it all up and it is now in the carboy. No more questions hopefully now until bottling time.

Back