Thirsty Hefe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SugarJohnson

Reaction score
So I'm crash cooling a heffe the other day in my frig. Move the carboy in with three piece airlock attached. I checked on it later that night and the change in temp had drained some of the liquid/starsan out. No problem it happens I think to myself. Well this thing has continued to suck one full airlock everyday even after the temp has been established. Yes I tried a different airlock as well. I was ok with a little starsan in the beer at first but then got concerned so I boiled some water and put in the airlock. What gives? Is this heffe thirsty. I can release the pressure by moving the airlock but after 3 days its still doing it? Frig is 38 degrees and beer was coming in at 68 degrees. I'm more worried about nasty stuff/infection now as the airlock runs dry.

I have two comments here. First, why crash a hefeweizen? Are you trying for a krystalweizen? I ask because most examples of the style have a lot of yeast floating in them.

The other comment is that I use Vodka in the airlock. If it gets sucked in... more alcohol in the beer.

I've never liked the S shaped ones and in fact have a bunch just lying around. Vodka sounds good! Cold crashing just to set the yeast for transfer to the keg. Plenty of yeast still in suspension.

Yah, I have to say... I have never seen anyone crash cool a heffe. I mean, the goal is to keep the yeast in suspension, so I am not sure why one would go to the step of settling any of it out to begin with.

I'm willing to bet you are overfilling your 3-piece. A properly filled 3-piece cannot suck back, and will just bubble backwards. A good test of this is to put it in your mouth and blow. If you get bubbles you are full enough. Then suck as hard as you can (you may want to start slow if you think you overfilled), if you get liquid you are overfilled.

This is one reason that some people use the s-shaped single-piece airlocks; they are more resistant to suck-back of the liquid in the airlock.

That sounds completely backwards from what I have experienced.

I have had two S's suck completely backwards. Repeat the above experiment with S airlock filled with something you want to drink.

Dont think I'm over filling as there is a clear fill line on the airlock. As far as crash cooling the heffe I should clarify. The heffe is a 50 pale/50 wheat split plus some honey malt. Clearing out my grain stock if you will. Used Wyeast Bavarian yeast so there is plenty of yeast in suspension. So true heffe not really but just looking to make racking a we bit easier to the keg.

Latest posts

Back