Going Fishing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeathBrewer

Maniacally Malty
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks to Yoops for making me feel like a lazy idiot for not fishing in YEARS :p

I'm going fishing today...a buddy is about to pick me up.

We're going here where I also might have a swim:

Cull Canyon Regional Recreation Area | East Bay Regional Park District

Probably not the best spot, but pretty close to home. I'm just gonna go for panfish...don't care how small they are. Hopefully tonight, I'll have a bunch of breaded blue-gills with lemon :)

Confession time.

Bean asked to go fishing a few weeks ago. Now, I haven't been fishing in YEARS. There was a little creek near the house where I grew up; my brother caught a couple trout in it, but *I've never caught a fish in my life!* Now, the old owners of the house left a ton of fishing equipment behind in the barn, but how do I tell my little girl, "Daddy doesn't really know much about fishing!"

I don't care if I catch nothing but perch, SOMETHING is going in a pan tonight :D

Hopefully, you can find a Stop 'n Save on the way home then. I hear that Mrs. Paul makes some nice fish sticks!

Bird, fishing is easy. Oh, sure, there are techniques to improve your sucess. But the simplest way- sticking a nightcrawler on a hook and tossing it in the water- works great. I have little kids standing on my dock all the time. They almost always catch something. The hardest part is getting the fish off the hook. Usually, noobies don't set the hook fast enough (especially kids) so the fish will swallow the hook. If you carefully remove the hook with needle nosed pliers, you won't harm the fish and you can release it (sometimes they're pretty small!).

Also, you might not know this, but sunfish have very sharp dorsal fins, with little spikes on them. If you know how to hold them, it's no problem but you may want to wear gloves on your fishing "trip", Bird. They can literally slice your palm open when you try to remove the hook. Bass and trout don't have sharp fins or teeth (or teeth like we think of them) so you don't have to worry about anything when you catch them.

Funny that this should come up now. I was just thinking about hitting a stream soon to do some fly fishing this summer.

I would like to take my canoe up to the Manistee River this summer and spend a day or two on the river doing some fishing.

I used to fish all the time. Grew up (mostly) on Vancouver Isladn. River/lake fishing but the big stuff was always in the chuck.

Moving to apartment life in the bigger cities reall killed my brewing and fishing. I've got the brewing going full swing but I have fished once in 4 years. :eek:

That's it. I'm buying a licence and some gear real soon! (I have rods but tackle has disapeared).

I need to find out the rules and stuff about licensing, and inventory the stuff that we've got in the garage. I suspect Bean's still a little too... well, she's too much of a four-year old to have the patience for fishing right now! "Ooh, a worm. Oh, a boat - a DUCKIE! YEAH, DUCKIE! Daddy, can I have a juice box? DUCK!"

I need to find out the rules and stuff about licensing, and inventory the stuff that we've got in the garage. I suspect Bean's still a little too... well, she's too much of a four-year old to have the patience for fishing right now! "Ooh, a worm. Oh, a boat - a DUCKIE! YEAH, DUCKIE! Daddy, can I have a juice box? DUCK!"

Yep, that's pretty much how it goes with a four year old. But........it's still so much fun, and it'll give her a love of fishing. When she's your age, she'll say, "When I was little, I my dad took me fishing......." She won't remember that you spent the whole time telling her to be careful with the hook, be careful where to step, don't fall in, picking up the trash from the candy and juice box, etc. Trust me- it's worth it!

I'm glad Deathbrewer's fishing trip motivated you guys to go fishing! Now, get going already.

man I remember fishing as a kid for Flounder, Grouper, Jacks, Yellow Tail, Snapper..... The list goes on....

Fishing in AK sucks compared to real sport fishing.

man I remember fishing as a kid for Flounder, Grouper, Jacks, Yellow Tail, Snapper..... The list goes on....

Well, I've fished in AK (out of Whittier- not too far from you) for salmon and halibut, not to mention setting out traps for shellfish! But, you'd have to have a boat. Fishing downtown is like "combat fishing". We went to the Kenai, and got plenty of dolly varden and trout. We went to the Little Susitna for salmon. Right in Anchorage, we just watched as the elbow to elbow fisherman fished for some silvers.

My "new" obsession is thinking about redfish. We've never gone fishing anyplace they are prevalent, and I think that would be awesome, especially out of a kayak.

When Deathbrewer gets back, I hope he has a couple of panfish to show us!

you make me want to beat your ass:D I could live off of halibut and red salmon and throw rocks at flounder and that other stuff you mentioned.

^+1 (to Bernie, sort of) and also a +1 to yoops sunfish warning.
I dewintereized the boat today. I'll probably put it in next weekend.
I'm getting real itchy to drown a worm...
My list of tasty fish.
#1 Bluegill fillets
#2 Walleye Fillets
#2 Perch Fillets

All of the above pan fried in bacon grease with shorelunch original flavor.

Ah a fishing thread, gotta love them!

I was so excited because trout season opened yesterday! Then I woke up and it was horrendously windy and a cold front was moving in bringing in a thunderstorm and day long rains. Yup, must be spring! So I haven't wet a line yet, but my gear is ready to go and I'm getting up early before work tomorrow, the trout are calling to me!

Ah a fishing thread, gotta love them!

I was so excited because trout season opened yesterday! Then I woke up and it was horrendously windy and a cold front was moving in bringing in a thunderstorm and day long rains. Yup, must be spring! So I haven't wet a line yet, but my gear is ready to go and I'm getting up early before work tomorrow, the trout are calling to me!

Yea I hear you - I too am married and its been a long time since I wet my line as well..

wait...... nevermind

I also have been feeling the urge to drown some worms lately. Had a conversation with a buddy today who is planning an outing for next weekend. Unfortunately, they are going out on the ocean. I've done this several times but I just don't dig it.

Give me a stream or a lake, especially up in the mountains, and I'm a happy camper.

Didn't catch a damn thing today :)

oh wellz, we didn't really have a plan. I had fun and we're going to rent a boat and get a map of the lake next week (going to a bigger, more well-stocked lake.)

I think I'm going to have my dad mail my tackle to me.

man I need to go fishing! I went for a weekend in spring break and got a 25lb catfish. but that was a month ago. there are few things I love more than a weekend of fishing.

Didn't catch a damn thing today :)

oh wellz, we didn't really have a plan. I had fun and we're going to rent a boat and get a map of the lake next week (going to a bigger, more well-stocked lake.)

I think I'm going to have my dad mail my tackle to me.

Since you live in Oakland, California... I may need to point out that the reason you didn't catch anything is that a swimming pool is not a lake. :D

Try saltwater...One year my boat caught 13% of the commercial live sheephead landed in Cali...
100_3163.jpg

I too hadn't fished in years. 14 years, actually. Last wednesday me and a couple guys I study with went fishing. We were pretty much caught up - so screw it. After a few outings of getting skunked, we all limited out on trout within a couple hours. Bryan (the little guy) caught a nice bass in the first pond we went to that day. He was fishing for the first time in years too...

Next day I took my kid to the pond and she caught her first fish (she's 4). Was going to throw the little guy (barely legal trout) back, but he swallowed the darn hook so bad that there was no way he was gunna make it...

3480254298_5b8128eb84.jpg

Fishing? Went out last weekend and hammered the crappie.

Polecreek, you've not landed some of the football sized perch out of the Great Lakes. 9 - 13 inches is fairly common.

i pounded the crappie over on the detroit side last weekend but the rains we had in the week since swelled our rivers and creeks to their banks making it unsafe to wade for our trout opener here on the sw side. spent sat on one of the larger lakes in the area(GULL Lake) fishing for pike and lakers. not many biting but did get a couple small pike. sunday was out for crappie again just south of me on lee lake. too damn windy to keep the boat positioned even with the trolling motor.

I'm a fly fisherman as well as a bass fisherman. As I'm attempting to rise up the ranks in the tournament bass fishing scene on the east coast, I haven't had a lot of time for fly fishing. I fish strictly catch and release. A few pieces of bread or rubber worms work fine for pan fish. I use them as bait for catching TOAD largemouth bass.

I'm a fly fisherman as well as a bass fisherman. As I'm attempting to rise up the ranks in the tournament bass fishing scene on the east coast, I haven't had a lot of time for fly fishing. I fish strictly catch and release. A few pieces of bread or rubber worms work fine for pan fish. I use them as bait for catching TOAD largemouth bass.

My brother used to fish and hang out with Mike Icconelli back when he was first starting out. Not sure if he still stays in contact though.

:off: ..and Mike's x-wife moved into the house next to my mom with her boyfriend, not sure if the little girl is Mike's or not though. Not even sure if she still lives there.

This is just torture. It's been nothing but rain since opening day on Saturday, the river is high and looks like chocolate milk and it will probably stay that way for the next 2-3 days (assuming the rain even lets up). :(

I miss it too. Got the bug the past few years, but the cost of going out was not equal to the fish we were (n't) catching. FIL has a nice old bass tracker. I want one.

I love to fly fish for pan fish and bass, or whatever. Thinking about taking up stream fishing, but it seems pretty hard.

Nothing wrong with perch, walleye, bass, trout, salmon, pike (one of my favorite), etc. I'm not picky. One of my best days fishing was trout fishing on our local small stream as a kid. I didn't catch anything, but dad caught a few browns and we found some morels on the way back to the truck. What a meal!

Here's a few pics of some of the hawgs over the last few years...

Barehill_Hog3.jpg

5 lbs+ It hit a swimbait around 8 pm...

P1010271.JPG

Leopard Smallmouth out of the Quabbin Reservoir. I love the pre-spawn.

P1060245.JPG

Biggest bass I've caught and weighed in Mass. The one of the left is 7 lbs 2 oz. The one on the right was around 3 lbs for comparison. April 6th of last year with 38 degree water.

easter_bunny_1.JPG

This one is from my first tournament win. Worst weather I've ever fished in. We finished with a 5 fish bag of 21 lbs 7 oz.

I live near an large lake (100 miles long). With trout clocked as large as 30lbs. The lake is 800+ feet in parts. Unfortunately it has also been over fished and is so full of 100 years of fertilizer runoff and no one trusts eating the fish.

I'll have to search out the smaller lakes. Which is fine, but Okanagan lake would have felt more like ocean fishing, which I miss. It just doesn't feel right without a 10 lb canon ball involved. lol

Didn't have to work today, so I got out the fly rod and waded a good portion of our local creek. Caught 3 nice (wild) brown trout, including a beautiful 17' incher. I let them all go.

Hopefully this warm weather here in Upstate NY will stay around a little longer - I'd like to try to take some on dry flies.

I've been going for river smallies lately on the Delaware River just south of Trenton, NJ. A couple of weeks ago I picked up 6" blue and purple flake Powerbait lizards for $2 so I thought I'd throw them out there to see if anything would hit. Well nothing did so I cut one in half right below the first set of legs and it resembled a frog and tossed it out there. WHAM! It's amazing how much of a difference presentation makes. I ended up with three nice fish by the end of the day on that same cut lizard lure.

My husband works for the Forest Service. Last week (right after the snowstorm), some fisheries biologists netted a lake to survey it. Here's a photo of one of the muskies they netted:
musky.JPG

They also found many walleyes, up to 28"; and some really nice crappies. I can't tell you the name of the lake, but if you come visit, I'll take you fishing!

This was about 20 years ago....but them walleye tasted GOOD! (cherry creek reservoir just outside of Denver) - and yes, I caught them all myself :)

JBV_walleye.jpg

Back