Completely forgot to add dry malt powder

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewLuke

Reaction score
My brother and I made (or attempted to make) a Fat Tire clone today. It was a Brewer's Best Red Ale kit. We noticed the dry malt powder in the kit, but when we went to boil, we completely forgot. Then, before we pitched the yeast, we realized that the package of malt was still sitting, nice and safe, in the box on the table. Our OG was way off as well (1.026 when it should have been in the 1.040ish range), so I know we are low on our sugars.

After a few choice words, we decided to check what the our options were. We capped off our primary and have our somewhat odd concoction in the basement. We didn't pitch our yeast, either.

What happens if we boil our malt extract into the wort now? We don't have a pot big enough for five gallons of liquid, plus room to stir, so we would have to boil in two different pots. Would mixing that together again cause a problem? Will it drastically alter the flavor of the beer? Or is there some other solution to this that we just don't know about?

In the meantime, I'll enjoy some of the last batch we made. It jsut keeps getting better and better.

My brother and I made (or attempted to make) a Fat Tire clone today. It was a Brewer's Best Red Ale kit. We noticed the dry malt powder in the kit, but when we went to boil, we completely forgot. Then, before we pitched the yeast, we realized that the package of malt was still sitting, nice and safe, in the box on the table. Our OG was way off as well (1.026 when it should have been in the 1.040ish range), so I know we are low on our sugars.

After a few choice words, we decided to check what the our options were. We capped off our primary and have our somewhat odd concoction in the basement. We didn't pitch our yeast, either.

What happens if we boil our malt extract into the wort now? We don't have a pot big enough for five gallons of liquid, plus room to stir, so we would have to boil in two different pots. Would mixing that together again cause a problem? Will it drastically alter the flavor of the beer? Or is there some other solution to this that we just don't know about?

In the meantime, I'll enjoy some of the last batch we made. It jsut keeps getting better and better.

DON'T boil all the wort! Just get the DME and put it in just enough water to dissolve it. Boil that for about 5 minutes, cool it in an ice bath, and add it to the primary and then stir well. Then pitch the yeast.

If you boil the wort again, you'll remove the aroma and flavor from the finishing (later added) hops. By the way, not to be picky, but if you brewed a red ale, that's not even close to Fat Tire. It'll be a good beer, but won't taste at all like Fat Tire.

All that worry for nothing. Thanks!

Yooper gave you a solution. I am curious as what exactly did you boil if there was no extract.

There was a liquid malt extract (1 can) and the bittering hops. And I suppose a short amount of time with the finishing hops as well. I'd hope we are smart enough to catch ourselves just boiling water. But who knows? We all have our moments, I suppose.

By the way, not to be picky, but if you brewed a red ale, that's not even close to Fat Tire. It'll be a good beer, but won't taste at all like Fat Tire.

I suppose this is what I get for listening to the sales guy and not taking time to evaluate what he said. Oops. Good thing I'm not too picky about my beer.

Did you modify the recipe? Brewer's best red ale was my very first brew and honestly it was one of my best. You should enjoy it very much.

There are some decent fate tire kits out there. If your local hbs doesn't have a fate tire specific kit, just look for any Amber kit and use a Belgian yeast.

Back