Brewers of South Suburbia - BOSS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pappers_

Moderator Emeritus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi, any BOSS folks here? I'm Jim V. Don't know if folks will use this or not, but its a place where we can have more back-and-forth chats off our google group. It will be a little experiment to see if anyone uses it.

The great thing about being a moderator is that if it meets with resounding silence, then I can just delete it!

Did anyone see Bill Goetz' new Top Tier tower on his Billy Goetz Brewing Facebook page? Now, he probably won't drink my beer brewed with my ghetto-tastic setup anymore . . .

;)

Good idea on the thread for chat stuff.

Brandon

We'll see if other folks from BOSS come over. I'm a little worried that important emails on the Google group (rsvp for meetings, reserve your Great Taste tickets, etc.) get lost amongst the fun chat. But, if folks don't come over here, that won't work either. We'll see.

In any case, its fun to see who is who - I don't really see BOSS folks around here (or at least I don't recognize them).

Am brewing an IPA today. Here's the recipe:

6 gallon batch size
Target OG: 1.063
Estimated IBUs: 76
Estimated Color: 8.4 SRM
Single Infusion, Batch Sparge, Mash at 152

8 lb Pale Malt
2 lb Munich Malt
1 lb Wheat Malt
0.5 lb Caramel 60L
2 lbs light extract

Mash Hop 1 oz. Mozaic (11.5%)
FWH 1 oz. Amarillo (8.5%)
15 minutes: 0.5 oz Amarillo, 0.5. oz Mosaic
10 minutes: 0.5 oz. Mosaic, 0.5 oz Citra
5 minutes: 1 oz Mosaic, 1 oz Citra, 1 oz Amarillo
Dry Hop: 1 oz Mosaic, 1 oz Citra, 1 oz Amarillo

US-05
Irish Moss

Nice looking recipe Jim! I just bottled a CDA from a Northern Brewer BIAB kit and a hard cider that I backsweetened. Planning on using your instructions to stovetop pasteurize in a few days.

Craig

Nice looking recipe Jim! I just bottled a CDA from a Northern Brewer BIAB kit and a hard cider that I backsweetened. Planning on using your instructions to stovetop pasteurize in a few days.

Craig

Hi Craig. If this is your first time pasteurizing the cider on the stove, err on the side of undercarbed. Heat, pressure and glass can be tricky. I've not had a bottle blow in dozens of batches but lots of folks have. Also I use 180F now, not 190F, turn off the heat and add the bottles.

Cider is one that always gets kegged for me. I still bottle my big beers but no matter the size I force carb cider.

Anyone ever make" Brando-O's"graff from here on HBT?

Hi Craig. If this is your first time pasteurizing the cider on the stove, err on the side of undercarbed. Heat, pressure and glass can be tricky. I've not had a bottle blow in dozens of batches but lots of folks have. Also I use 180F now, not 190F, turn off the heat and add the bottles.

Thanks. It actually tasted pretty good just the way it is so I will probably pastuerize in just a couple of days. It already had a bit of carbonation right out of the carboy. I filled one plastic soda bottle to monitor pressure too.

Craig

Am brewing an IPA today. Here's the recipe:

6 gallon batch size
Target OG: 1.063
Estimated IBUs: 76
Estimated Color: 8.4 SRM
Single Infusion, Batch Sparge, Mash at 152

8 lb Pale Malt
2 lb Munich Malt
1 lb Wheat Malt
0.5 lb Caramel 60L
2 lbs light extract

Mash Hop 1 oz. Mozaic (11.5%)
FWH 1 oz. Amarillo (8.5%)
15 minutes: 0.5 oz Amarillo, 0.5. oz Mosaic
10 minutes: 0.5 oz. Mosaic, 0.5 oz Citra
5 minutes: 1 oz Mosaic, 1 oz Citra, 1 oz Amarillo
Dry Hop: 1 oz Mosaic, 1 oz Citra, 1 oz Amarillo

US-05
Irish Moss

mmmmmm hops!!!

I may do a store juice cider soon. Bad harvest last year so I didn't get any fresh pressed cider. Thought of jacking with Indian summer and concentrate to up the OG then graff or now you mention it braggot!

Did anyone see Bill Goetz' new Top Tier tower on his Billy Goetz Brewing Facebook page? Now, he probably won't drink my beer brewed with my ghetto-tastic setup anymore . . .

;)

I will continue to drink your beers, don't worry about that.
Hey, I'm on hombrewtalk.com, this is my first post!

I may do a store juice cider soon. Bad harvest last year so I didn't get any fresh pressed cider. Thought of jacking with Indian summer and concentrate to up the OG then graff or now you mention it braggot!

The fresh-pressed kirkland brand juice from Costco seems pretty good.

-Craig

I'm brewing today. Anybody is welcome to drop by, drop me line before you come 708-772-8234

Pasteurizing tonight. After checking carb levels again of course. Wish me luck!

-Craig

That was a fun meeting last night! Thanks for the cider, Craig, very enjoyable!

Have to say that I'm not sure about the fried ball of corned beef, though ;)

Wasn't paying enough attention during the raffle (Nancy had our tickets) - I saw that Gary won twice, did anyone here win anything? I haven't won a BOSS raffle drawing for at least six months, need to get my mojo back.

Was a great time last night. I didn't win anything either. Didn't buy any raffle tickets though. Glad you liked the cider!

The current lineup

dscn1540-59354.jpg

A Summit, Amarillo, Citra and Mosaic IPA is dry hopping now and should be ready in a couple of weeks. A semi-dry summer white wine is in the works, more cider is fermenting, next brew will be a Nelson Sauvin APA followed by a Wee Heavy (using the Edinburgh yeast from the APA).

Hey Jim this is Scott M. I am happy to see that we're trying to go cross platform on ways of communication other than google groups. Sign Me up!
:mug:

Heading up to Milwaukee tomorrow afternoon to judge NHC regional with Bill. The organizer said he won't be telling us what we are judging until we arrive at the competition on Saturday morning.

Latest posts

Back