Aloha From Hawaii

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kontreren

Gluten Free Brewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not new to homebrewtalk but I haven't updated my profile yet. I joined the forum from Winston Salem, NC but now I'm in Honolulu, HI on the island of Oahu. The beer here needs me. Unfortunately I have to start over. I gave all my brewing equipment to my friends in Winston because I couldn't carry it on the plane. That included at least 15 gallons of homebrew. So I'm here on Oahu now so if anyone here knows the area by all means contact me and direct me to the good brewsky. I've already found a store and a club but have yet to meet them. My first visit to the homebrew store is Saturday (3 days from now including today).

Mahalo,
Jesse
"Give a man a beer and he wastes an hour. Teach him to brew and he wastes a lifetime."

Welcome to Hawaii! I am getting back into things here as well. There is only one store on the island and it sounds like you already found it. It is awesome when you think about how far we are from things.

As for gear, his prices are good, but also check out Craigslist. I picked up an almost complete kit (was just missing some niceties) for $100 and that was with two five gallon glass carboys. I am headed into town tomorrow to pick up a 6 gallon glass carboy for $18.00 plus tax (http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/for/2577809101.html). Last night while not being able to sleep I found a source for copper tubing on eBay that ships out here for just $5.00 as well (http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-8-od-x-50...366?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c787bdee).

There are a few others on here from the island as well. Hopefully you get back up and running before too long.

-JB

JB You brewdog. You beat me to it. and I'm very close to S. Beretania. I could walk there (but who wants to lug 6 gallon carboys around. I'm headed to the brewstore as soon as I press enter and he is going to fix me up with a few email addresses. I would love to meet you and collaborate on something. I've been here a month and had nothing like homebrew. I'm having tastebud withdrawals.

Not sure what you drink, but for me it is mostly Hefeweizen and then various six packs of this or that if it looks interesting on the shelf. I've become a "beer snob" according to most because I don't drink Bud Lite, MGD, etc., mostly micro brews and German beers. The best selection for mass production that I have seen has been Tamuras Fine Wine & Liquors. They have a store on Kamehameha in Aiea which is perfect for me since I drive right past it on my way home from work. They carry Franziskaner hefe and dunkel which are my number ones, but it is something like $3.00 a bottle here, so I decided it was time to buy some gear and save some money and have good beer.

I'm with you on that one. I just say I'm "spoiled" by good homebrew. The homebrew I'm use to can not be compared to stuff on the shelf anywhere. I didn't drink those commercial brews when I was NC. Not going to start now. Just back from Homebrewing Paradise. On my way to see the Sam & get a couple carboys. :) We will catch up later.

I'm with you on that one. I just say I'm "spoiled" by good homebrew. The homebrew I'm use to can not be compared to stuff on the shelf anywhere. I didn't drink those commercial brews when I was NC. Not going to start now. Just back from Homebrewing Paradise. On my way to see the Sam & get a couple carboys. :) We will catch up later.

Aloha Kontreren,
I'm out on the west side in Wai`anae and have been brewing since Feb of this year. Started w/Cooper's kits and now do small 1.7 g batches BIAB. I like a variety of ales, no longer crazy about any lagers. I guess I missed you today at the LHBS as I won't be leaving Wai`anae for at least another hour. Need to buy grains and hops for two more brews.

Because I do small batches I'm brewing about once a week. If you like to hike I hike as well and do it each Wed and Sunday.

aloha

You must have gotten to Sam before I did. He was talking about how someone else came in for carboys and parked way down the street and he went out side to wave them down on his cell phone.

Sorry I'm late getting back with you. I haven't been checking in too often. Still getting acclimated. Hiking sounds good as long as it isn't too difficult. My son and I have been doing some hiking. Do you have any spots you recommend? We did Waimano Falls which I found difficult for and old lunger like me. I made it but it was a tough one for me. We went out Sunday but heavy rain everywhere we went so not very fruitful. Let me hear from you again. I look forward to meeting some local homebrewers. Mahalo, Kontreren

Aloha Kontreren,
I'm out on the west side in Wai`anae and have been brewing ... Because I do small batches I'm brewing about once a week. If you like to hike I hike as well and do it each Wed and Sunday.

aloha

That sounds like me but I wasn't driving I was on The Bus. That coupled with not knowing my way around makes it a little difficult. Sam had about 60 more carboys when I left. I would love to have taken them all but given the downsizing I've done these two will be more than enough. Brew on! Mahalo, Kontreren

You must have gotten to Sam before I did. He was talking about how someone else came in for carboys and parked way down the street and he went out side to wave them down on his cell phone.

Back