Bottling Snafu

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopshead

Reaction score
So, I was bottling a pale ale on Saturday and about half through filling the bottles I realized I totally forgot the priming sugar, what an idiot. I wasn't sure what to do, I didn't want to try pouring the beer out the bottles to bulk prime, surely they would be cardboard when ready to drink due to oxygenation. So, I went old school and measured a tablespoon of sugar and poured in each bottle. I think I really "f" d this one up. Now the fill level rose due to adding sugar making less headspace and more likely one tablespoon is not enough to get the proper carbonation.

Another homebrew pal suggested I recap the beers to release the head pressure because 1 tablespoon of sugar is too much and I risk bottle bombs. I did the recapping on Monday - two days later. Should I recap again in a day or two or do you all think I am out of the woods/danger?

Incoooooming!!!!!

Boom!

I think this just means you have to drink 'em up quick. You're working against the clock, kinda like defusing a bomb.

Crap, you guys have me scared. So I take it that you all think by me uncapping them and recapping (to relieve head pressure) won't work?

Crap, you guys have me scared. So I take it that you all think by me uncapping them and recapping (to relieve head pressure) won't work?

Maybe. It would depend on how much priming sugar you should have used, vs. how much you actually used. You may have an issue with overcarbonation, or if you cap/recap, undercarbonation.

If you should have added a teaspoon, and you added a tablespoon, that's three times more than called for. That's alot. So, the risk of bottle bombs is very real.

You could check daily, by putting one in the fridge over night and sampling the next day. When they are carbed up enough, stick them in a fridge and keep them cold until they are consumed. That might mitigate any bottle bombs risk.

In the meantime, keep them somewhere safe like in a big rubbermade tote, so no one gets injured.

Back