first belgian recipe, blonde

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

defenestrate

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
how does this look to you guys? i'm not huge on belgians...i'm trying to make something for the woman in my life and she loves blue moon, golden monkey, etc. maybe it'll grow on me.

Author: Kevin
Category: 18 - Belgian Strong Ale
Subcategory: A - Belgian Blond Ale
Kettle Volume: 7.98 gal (S.G.: 1.042)
Boil Duration: 1.5 hr
Evaporation: 2.25 gal
Water Volume Added: -0.0 gal
Final Volume: 5.5 gal (S.G.: 1.061)
Efficiency: 78.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Evap/Hour: 1.5 gal
Ingredients:
8.0 lb English 2-row Pale
3.0 lb Belgian Wheat Malt
8.0 oz 2-Row Caramel Malt 10L
9.0 oz Wheat Flaked
1.0 oz Hallertau (4.5%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
1.0 oz Hallertau (4.5%) - added during boil, boiled 5.0 min

Original Gravity: 1.061
Terminal Gravity: 1.015
Color: 5.73 °SRM
Alcohol: 6.01%

Guideline
1.062 - 1.075
1.008 - 1.018
4.0 - 7.0
6.0% - 7.5%

Looks good to me, dependent on yeast. Any of the various Abbey strains should work well, as well as Wyeast's Trappist High Gravity.

It's going to be quite malty. If I can suggest, consider substituting a pound of sugar for a pound or so of the Pale Malt.

Bob

sorry for the delay guys, work has been crazy as well as the holidays.

White Labs Belgian Ale WLP550, White Labs Trappist Ale WLP500 or White Labs Belgian Abbey Ale WLP530. i think i'm leaning towards the 550, i don't want overly fruity.

Looks good to me, dependent on yeast. Any of the various Abbey strains should work well, as well as Wyeast's Trappist High Gravity.

It's going to be quite malty. If I can suggest, consider substituting a pound of sugar for a pound or so of the Pale Malt.

Bob

what if i dropped the pale to 7 lbs, upped the wheat malt to 4 lbs and make the flaked wheat a full lb as well? would that be too much? (wheat that is)

The 530 is fairly fruity but not overpoweringly fruity like the 500 is. The 550 is rather nutty and malty with some spiciness. I would go with the 530 or the 570 for a Belgian blonde, personally.

If you aren't sure, go buy some samples, that's how I selected my yeast. :)

Chimay = WLP500
Westmalle tripel = WLP530
LaChouffe, Greenflash tripel = WLP550
Duvel = WLP570

The 530 is fairly fruity but not overpoweringly fruity like the 500 is. The 550 is rather nutty and malty with some spiciness. I would go with the 530 or the 570 for a Belgian blonde, personally.

Chimay = WLP500
Duvel = WLP570

your yeast knowledge makes me feel feeble :p well i don't want it overly malty, either. the 570's description of dominating fruitiness scared me a little. maybe i'll end up going with the 530 then, thanks for the examples! :mug:

Don't forget that WLP510 = Orval !

You may also want to think about one of White Labs' blended yeasts, like WLP575. Says White, "we wanted to lower the fruitiness and get it drier without too much manipulation on the part of the brewer."

Chimay = WLP500
Duvel = WLP570

yeah, well I like the 550...i think it's the cleanest. i use it for my pales and blondes, etc. i even used it for a dark strong that was so smooth it was dangerous.

just to throw a little confusion your way and mess with sacc :p

yeah, well I like the 550...i think it's the cleanest. i use it for my pales and blondes, etc. i even used it for a dark strong that was so smooth it was dangerous.

just to throw a little confusion your way and mess with sacc :p

well atleast i'm torn now :drunk: clean is tempting. i figure i didnt want any fruity aroma b/c i wanted the floral aroma of the hops to come through.

Latest posts

Back