Leftover LME Usage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nutcase168

Reaction score
So I was given a kit for a lager a year ago, but I didn't have the equipment for it at the time. I've kind of cannibalized the kit for some pieces, the grains, priming sugar and cap to the point I only have the hops and 6 lbs of Munich LME left.

Is there an kind of ale I can make with the Munich LME? I'm moving at the moment so no ability to lager. An ale can sit at the new place and ferment.

Well, you could just find some hops and yeast, add water until you like the OG, and let it go.

6lb Munich LME
0.5oz hops 60m
0.5 oz hops 10m
US-05

Use something like Saaz or Sterling hops for an amber beer or use Cascade for something with a little bit of a citrus flavor.

Edit: Use some software to figure out where you need or want to be on IBU's. You could also hopburst for an India Amber Ale.

It will probably be a lot darker than it was originally and may have a bit of a licorice twang to it. I just made a "Corona style" kit that I had lying about for just over a year in order to get rid of it. It looks and tastes more like a brown ale! Drinkable, but may end up used more in beef stews. You may want to cut it, and use say 2lb. at a time with 3.3lb of fresh light DME. I prefer a heavier hop schedule and would go for 1 or 2 oz bittering for 60 mins (Cascade type), 1 1/2 oz or so of flavoring and 1 oz aroma at say 10 and 0, respectively. I have used Crytsal a lot lately for the end.

6lb Munich LME
0.5oz hops 60m
0.5 oz hops 10m
US-05

Use something like Saaz or Sterling hops for an amber beer or use Cascade for something with a little bit of a citrus flavor.

Edit: Use some software to figure out where you need or want to be on IBU's. You could also hopburst for an India Amber Ale.

Brewed a simple Saaz Ale recently with mostly left-over ingredients. Just sampled it yesterday, still needs some conditioning time, but it's coming along.

Recipe attached.

View attachment Saaz Ale.pdf

The last beer I made before the 2 hopburst beers I just made was
6lb Munich LME
1oz Sterling 60m(would have been 0.5oz for a full boil)
0.5oz Sterling 10m
US-05

Very simple beer that turned out very well. Nice change of pace from all the hoppy beers I usually make.

So, I grabbed some grains and hops to do a partial mash with it and ended up with:

1 lb Vienna
1lb 2 Row
1lb Caramel

Steeped for 45 mintues

at boil added 1 lb DME and the 6 lbs Munich LME

0.5 oz 6 AA Sterling (also left over) for 60 minutes

at 30 minutes added 1 oz 3.9 AA Spalt
at 50 minutes added 1 oz 3.9 AA Spalt

I added some white labs German Ale yeast once the wort cooled to 79F. My hope is this will be an Oktoberfest style Ale with nice Malty tones. I'm calling it "Leftoberfest."

OG was around 1.062-1.065

Bubbler was going full bore within 12 hours, less than a second between bubbles. It's slowed down as of yesterday but I still saw the occasional bubble.

Back