What are the negatives to leaving pumpkin beer on trub to long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dillonks1

Reaction score
Hi,

I am brewing a pumpkin ale recipe, and I was going to transfer to a secondary and adding a hit of allspice after 7 days for clearing.

Unfortunately my work decided to send me to Virginia on the 6th day, and I wont return and be able to transfer it until day 14. I wanted to clear and spice the brew for 14 days.

What negative effects if any could effect my pumpkin ale? Should I still leave in secondary for 14 days to clear or switch to 7 days?

I don't see any but is there something I am not considering. I used 3/4 tbsp of cinnamon, and 1/4th tbsp of allspice in 7.5 gallons, and 6 cans of pumpkin.

Confusing post I know.

Thanks in advance.

I'd just let it sit in your primary a little longer. It could probably use a diacetyl rest anyway, so it won't hurt the beer. Most of my beers spend a MINIMUM of two weeks in the primary, if not three. Just let it sit, and then when you get back, hit it with the spices you want in advance of bottling and then bottle/keg it.

I would say 7 days in the primary is to short. Some of my beers have been in the primary longer then a month.

It would be 7 in primary, the rack off the massive amount of pumpkin trub and 14 more days in a secondary.

But, since I am away it will now be 15 days in primary, 14 days of clearing in secondary

What do you mean pumpkin trub? Did you just mash the pumpkin? Leaving a beer on the trub/yeast for 14 days is not a big deal, like others just stated I leave some beers on the trub for over a month.

Yes, I understand. I am not worried about the length it is sitting on the trub. I was more concerned about the clarity

Thanks. I think I have it all worked out now

Well, you'll still need to use a secondary at some point. But the longer you leave it in primary, the less will get carried over into secondary. But having tried to do an all primary pumpkin beer, I know that you'll still need to rack at least once more. If someone added their pumplkin to secondary, I still would recommend a further racking into a tertiary for clearing.

Revvy, I used pumpkin in my mash, not the boil or primary. Would you still suggest a secondary? I have one, I just never use it.

Revvy, I used pumpkin in my mash, not the boil or primary. Would you still suggest a secondary? I have one, I just never use it.

I don't know....does it look like you need one? If there's a larger amount of trub than normal or if it's cloudy, then yes.

Cold crashing, either way if you can do it might help as well.

It has only been in primary since Sunday and its in a bucket so I can't see how cloudy it is still. It was super cloudy going into primary despite using whirlfloc and straining with a paint strainer bag going from the kettle. I will see how cloudy it is in a few weeks when I start checking gravity. I will probably stick with cold crashing if it doesn't look bad. Thank you!

Back