A source of stubby frustration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nufad

Reaction score
In my experience, and from what I've read on HBT, stubby bottles are a rare find in LHBS's and online vendors. Given there seems to be a demand for stubbies, as per the number of threads inquiring for a stubby source, does anyone know why they are available to commercial brewers, but not homebrewers? Aren't there homebrewers (like myself) who want to bottle up a small batch of experimental or expensive brew without being left with 10-12 22oz bottles?

wait, hold on a sec. you mean to tell me people buy empty beer bottles to put their homebrew in?

wait, hold on a sec. you mean to tell me people buy empty beer bottles to put their homebrew in?

I know! It may seem counter intuitive, unless you're making homebrew partly to avoid paying an arm and a leg for beer. A local 22oz craft beer goes for $5-7, and imported beer from the US costs $7-12.

Static - unfortunately, all of the stubbies at Freund are twist-caps, and my bottler is a crown capper.

Searching for stubby vendors, I came across this piece of vintage reporting at the CBC (1983): "A sad farewell to the 'stubby' beer bottle:
The uniquely Canadian stubby bottle is being abandoned for the taller American-style bottle." (link).

Crikey there's finally something us aussies have over the USA, buying empty stubby bottles is not a problem here (and they're crown seal type).

Stubbies are starting to resurface in the states, there's a few craft breweries, including North Peaks out of Michigan that is using 2 different styles of crown capped stubbies. I'm going to be bottling my 5 year Barleywine in them.

NorthPeak_011-570x389.jpg

Stubbies are starting to resurface in the states, there's a few craft breweries, including North Peaks out of Michigan that is using 2 different styles of crown capped stubbies. I'm going to be bottling my 5 year Barleywine in them.

NorthPeak_011-570x389.jpg

Those bottles are sweet! I have to see if I can get them in Wisco at all! Genesee Brewing out of Rochester has a throwback bottle but they're twist offs of course. Right now if I want to stray away from the traditional 12oz long neck or 22oz I'll go buy a 12er of Sierra Nevada Torpedo, have myself a fun night then I'm left with some nice bottles.

i can ussually get SN filled at around twice the price of empty longnecks, I feel that is a bargain.

Laguinitas uses the shorter non-twist bottles like Sierra Nevada if I remember right, and makes some pretty dang good brews too.

These are all wonderful suggestions, but, unfortunately, most of these beers are not available where I am. I was hoping to order from a wholesaler, and have them shipped to a friend in Seattle. I am looking forward to my next trip south (Seattle/Portland) - I usually find myself standing in the beer cooler at Whole Foods, in awe of all the craft beer available.

These are all wonderful suggestions, but, unfortunately, most of these beers are not available where I am. I was hoping to order from a wholesaler, and have them shipped to a friend in Seattle. I am looking forward to my next trip south (Seattle/Portland) - I usually find myself standing in the beer cooler at Whole Foods, in awe of all the craft beer available.

nufad, keep your eyes on Craigslist and Kijiji -- I bought 144 empty stubbies from the late 70s on CL for a decent price (had to clean and delabel them all). To be honest, I've only used them once, as I realized I actually prefer the standard long necks!

Update on sourcing stubbies - I was in contact with a local craft brewmaster, and he confirmed that they are difficult (if not impossible) to purchase brand new in Canada. I'll just have to trawl through CL and Kijiji until they turn up.

I just realized where you are. I have a nephew in Vancouver that brews. He got a bunch of the grolsch bottles at the local recycling place for pennies on the bottle. Might be worth a look. I'll see if i can get more detail if you're interested.

There are beers in stubbies available, but I'd rather avoid paying for a few dozen sub-par beers for $13/6 pack (i.e. red stripe), or, worse, paying a premium for imported singles (e.g. belgian beers) just to have the bottles for my own homebrew.

I just realized where you are. I have a nephew in Vancouver that brews. He got a bunch of the grolsch bottles at the local recycling place for pennies on the bottle. Might be worth a look. I'll see if i can get more detail if you're interested.

That would be greatly appreciated. I've approached a few government stores and asked if I could buy their empties, but was told they stopped selling them 8-10 years ago. I wonder which recycling depot your nephew approached?

There are beers in stubbies available, but I'd rather avoid paying for a few dozen sub-par beers for $13/6 pack (i.e. red stripe), or, worse, paying a premium for imported singles (e.g. belgian beers) just to have the bottles for my own homebrew.

That would be greatly appreciated. I've approached a few government stores and asked if I could buy their empties, but was told they stopped selling them 8-10 years ago. I wonder which recycling depot your nephew approached?

I sent him a message. Another option might be to make a beer run to the states. What you guys pay for the cheap stuff is outrageous let alone the craft brews. I can usually get a decent 6er at Safeway for 7-8 bucks.

I sent him a message. Another option might be to make a beer run to the states. What you guys pay for the cheap stuff is outrageous let alone the craft brews. I can usually get a decent 6er at Safeway for 7-8 bucks.

Thanks - greatly appreciated static! I will likely be taking a trip south sometime this summer to visit Portland and Seattle; we're allowed to take 24 bottles back/person if we spend 48h in the country, so two of us can bring back 48. I wish we could purchase beer at the grocer, never mind for $7-8/sixer. Our garbage-head-splitting-vomit-inducing lagers (e.g. Alberta genuine draft, black label, keystone, et al.) are $8-9/sixer. I "made" money off my first batch of homebrew after accounting for all of my materials.

Back