Stuck Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nsean

Reaction score
Hello

It seems I have a stuck fermentation.

It is an IPA with the following recipe and used WLP 001

UK Carastan Malt 8.00 oz
US Flaked Rye 4.00 oz
Canadian Honey Malt (Gambrinus) 4.00 oz
Extract - Light Dried Malt Extract 5lb 8oz Start Of Boil
Sugar - Candi Sugar Pale 1lb 10oz End Of Boil

OG - 1.052 Expected FG 1.007

After 4 days the gravity was 1.03, so it looked like fermentation was going well, then I decided to check 4 days later, as I was planning on bottling this as soon as 2weeks, because my beer supply is becoming a little low. However when I check the gravity was still 1.03. I waited another 4 days and checked again, no change, so I stirred the yeast hoping to rouse it. 4 days later still no change.

The beer tastes like I would expect it to, just a little bit sweet.

The local home brew shops around be have a limited selection of supplies.

So should I pick up a dry yeast pack and pitch it tomorrow? What else should I do to make it finish?

Thanks;
Sean

Is there any difference between LME and DME in terms of nutrients for the yeast?

Question: I know it is bad to aerate when trying to get a few more points out of a fermentation, but is it still bad to aerate when the beer is only 1/2 fermented and your trying to start it up again?

Thanks;

Generally i avoid aerating as much as possible once fermention gets krausen.

I'd try rocking the fermenter to rouse the yeast or amping up the temp a bit before pitching more yeast or stirring

Back