steeping grains? how long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with Scrambledegg81, and DO NOT squeeze the grain bag after steeping.

I don't think there is an ideal time for steeping, but a not too high temperature is more important (as is the not squeezing the bag)... both will allow tannins into the finished product, making it more bitter and "tea" like.

I steep ( 16 oz or less in a galllon of water at 90 deg c) for 2 minutes and strain, then steep for another 2 minutes and strain, discard the grains and filter liquid through very fine muslin. Then I add to boiler, do my mash, add that liquor and boil, skimming off the cream / brown head. Once full boil achieved I boil for 10 minutes before starting hop additions, it works ok...

I agree with Scrambledegg81, and DO NOT squeeze the grain bag after steeping.

I thought this was one of those brewing myths. I seem to recall someone posting about the Aussie's and their brew in a bag method, they squeeze the hell out of that bag in order to get all the wort out. I've been doing partial mashes with a grain bag and have been squeezing that bag to get the goods, no astrigency that I've found yet.

I thought this was one of those brewing myths. I seem to recall someone posting about the Aussie's and their brew in a bag method, they squeeze the hell out of that bag in order to get all the wort out. I've been doing partial mashes with a grain bag and have been squeezing that bag to get the goods, no astrigency that I've found yet.

They're also mashing and therefore monitoring the temperature carefully enough to know there will be no tannins to extract. Steeping is a bit more of a willy-nilly process... at least it is for me. I have no qualms squeezing the bag when I do an all-grain in a bag brew but I personally wouldn't do it with steeping grains because after I get the water to 150F, I don't monitor the temps close enough to make absolutely sure I'm not over the tannin extraction threshold (170F or so). If I were to get over that threshold for any length of time, squeezing the bag would be bad.

what do you mean by letting it sit for about 15-20 minutes afterwards before starting up?

thanks for the reply guys!

It's known as a protein rest, and it's more applicable to all-grain brewing, but since the steeping process (for extract brews) is similar, it allows the proteins from the grain to coagulate a bit. (Removing the protein is done during the boil and after cooling, where you skim off the "goop" that tends to group together on the surface...it allows for a cleaner beer in the end.) Search around here for threads regarding protein rest for more info.

It's known as a protein rest, and it's more applicable to all-grain brewing, but since the steeping process (for extract brews) is similar, it allows the proteins from the grain to coagulate a bit. (Removing the protein is done during the boil and after cooling, where you skim off the "goop" that tends to group together on the surface...it allows for a cleaner beer in the end.) Search around here for threads regarding protein rest for more info.

thank you, i surely will!

I'm not so sure this "protein rest" is really a protein rest at all, but I might be missing something and could be totally wrong.

Regardless, I do know that protein rests are basically not needed for well-modified malt, and almost all the malt we work with nowadays is well-modified. So I don't think you really need to let it rest after steeping if indeed you are accomplishing a protein rest by doing so. Doing a protein rest with well-modified malt can actually be detrimental to the body and head retention of the beer.

I've only done one protein rest ever in all-grain brewing, and that was when I was doing a triple decoction using under-modified malt.

EDIT: Removed the bit about FAN - don't think that part was correct.

They're also mashing and therefore monitoring the temperature carefully enough to know there will be no tannins to extract. Steeping is a bit more of a willy-nilly process... at least it is for me. I have no qualms squeezing the bag when I do an all-grain in a bag brew but I personally wouldn't do it with steeping grains because after I get the water to 150F, I don't monitor the temps close enough to make absolutely sure I'm not over the tannin extraction threshold (170F or so). If I were to get over that threshold for any length of time, squeezing the bag would be bad.

That makes sense, thanks.

northern brewer recipes always say 20 minutes or 170 whatever comes first. last time i bought the temperature up to 160 threw in grains turned off heat and let sit for 20 minutes

Back