What's your occupation: Engineer or Non-Engineer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's your occupation

• Engineer

• Non-Engineer

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'm a tech. for an electronics manufacturer. not an engineer but still very technical. I feel that i'm more technically inclined than most of our engineers.

For eight years I was the guy who 'put the can on the shelf' and asked 'would you like paper or plastic?' I'm talking, of course of my career at a chain drug store. For the last three years or so of this job I worked a lot of part time while I (finally) finished college, getting a degree in Music Engineering Technology. For almost ten years after that my various job titles included 'technician' and even briefly 'supervisor', but now (again, finally) includes 'engineer'.

I understand how people wonder, 'does <fill in the blank> engineer mean I'm actually an engineer??' So here's a helpful little guide I found online:
10. In college you thought Spring Break was a type of metal fatigue
9. At home, you rearrange the dishwasher to maximize dirty dish density
8. You stare at an orange juice container because it says 'concentrate'
7. You know the direction the water swirls when you flush and have used this information to extrapolate your GPS coordinates
6. You own a software program to design the furniture layout in your house
5. You've tried to repair a $5 radio, and used $20 worth of solder to do it
4. You have no life and can prove it mathematically
3. During Thanksgiving Dinner you find yourself calculating the load-bearing capacity of Aunt Martha’s chair
2. You spent more on your calculator than you did on your wedding ring
1. You've already calculated how much money you make per second

MS Chemical Engineering, U of NH.

I work for a chemical company, but my job is probably as much MechE as ChemE. I definitely lean toward the physical phenoma side of the ChemE spectrum, rather than the chemistry side (which is weird because I almost majored in Chemistry).

Engineering student here! **** if I know how I'm managing a 3.0+ GPA when drinking almost every night and working a fulltime night job... :p

B.S. Elec. Eng. Tech. and Math from U.T.B. :-D

If brewing is both a science and an art, then I am on the complete opposite end of the spectrum from engineers - BFA from SCAD (Art school).

Understanding Engineers - Take One
Two engineering students were walking across campus when one said, "Where did you get such a great bike?" The second engineer replied, "Well, I was walking along yesterday minding my own business when a beautiful woman rode up on this bike. She threw the bike to the ground, took off all her clothes and said, "Take what you want." The first engineer picked up the bike and the second engineer nodded approvingly, "Good choice; the clothes probably wouldn't have fit."
Understanding Engineers - Take Two
To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
Understanding Engineers - Take Three
A pastor, a doctor and an engineer were waiting one morning for a particularly slow group of golfers. The engineer fumed, "What's with these guys? We must have been waiting for 15 minutes!"
The doctor chimed in, "I don't know, but I've never seen such ineptitude!"
The pastor said, "Hey, here comes the greens keeper. Let's have a word with him."
"Hi, George. Say, what's with that group ahead of us? They're rather slow, aren't they?"
The greens keeper replied, "Oh, yes, that's a group of blind firefighters who lost their sight saving our clubhouse from a fire last year, so we always let them play for free anytime."
The group was silent for a moment. The pastor said, "That's so sad. I think I will say a special prayer for them tonight."
The doctor said, "Good idea. And I'm going to contact my ophthalmologist buddy and see if there's anything he can do for them."
The engineer said, "Why can't these guys play at night?"
Understanding Engineers - Take Four
There was an engineer who had an exceptional gift for fixing all things mechanical. After serving his company loyally for over 30 years, he happily retired. Several years later the company contacted him regarding a seemingly impossible problem they were having with one of their multi-million dollar machines. They had tried everything and everyone else to get the machine to work but to no avail. In desperation, they called on the retired engineer who had solved so many of their problems in the past. The engineer reluctantly took the challenge. He spent a day studying the huge machine.
Finally, at the end of the day, he marked a small "x" in chalk on a particular component of the machine and said, "This is where your problem is."
The part was replaced and the machine worked perfectly again. The company received a bill for $50,000 from the engineer for his service. They demanded an itemized accounting of his charges. The engineer responded briefly: One chalk mark $1; Knowing where to put it $49,999. It was paid in full and the engineer retired again in peace.
Understanding Engineers - Take Five
What is the difference between Mechanical Engineers and Civil Engineers?
Mechanical Engineers build weapons. Civil Engineers build targets.
Understanding Engineers - Take Six
Three engineering students were gathered together discussing the possible designers of the human body. One said, "It was a mechanical engineer. Just look at all the joints."
Another said, "No, it was an electrical engineer. The nervous system has many thousands of electrical connections."
The last said, "Actually it was a civil engineer. Who else would run a toxic waste pipeline through a recreational area?"
Understanding Engineers - Take Seven
"Normal people believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet."
Understanding Engineers - Take Eight
An architect, an artist and an engineer were discussing whether it was better to spend time with the wife or a mistress. The architect said he enjoyed time with his wife, building a solid foundation for an enduring relationship. The artist said he enjoyed time with his mistress, because of the passion and mystery he found there. The engineer said, "I like both."
"Both?" they asked.
Engineer: "Yeah. If you have a wife and a mistress, they will each assume you are spending time with the other woman, and you can go to the lab and get some work done."
Understanding Engineers - Take Nine
An engineer was crossing a road one day when a frog called out to him and said, "If you kiss me, I'll turn into a beautiful princess." He bent over, picked up the frog and put it in his pocket. The frog spoke up again and said, "If you kiss me and turn me back into a beautiful princess, I will stay with you for one week." The engineer took the frog out of his pocket, smiled at it and returned it to the pocket. The frog then cried out, "If you kiss me and turn me back into a princess, I'll stay with you and do ANYTHING you want." Again the engineer took the frog out, smiled at it, and put it back into his pocket. Finally, the frog asked, "What is the matter? I've told you I'm a beautiful princess; that I'll stay with you for a weekend and do anything you want. Why won't you kiss me?"
The engineer said; "Look, I'm an engineer. I don't have time for a girlfriend, but a talking frog, now that's cool."
:D

Understanding Engineers - Take One
Two engineering students were walking across campus when one said, "Where did you get such a great bike?" The second engineer replied, "Well, I was walking along yesterday minding my own business when a beautiful woman rode up on this bike. She threw the bike to the ground, took off all her clothes and said, "Take what you want." The first engineer picked up the bike and the second engineer nodded approvingly, "Good choice; the clothes probably wouldn't have fit."
Understanding Engineers - Take Two
To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
Understanding Engineers - Take Three
A pastor, a doctor and an engineer were waiting one morning for a particularly slow group of golfers. The engineer fumed, "What's with these guys? We must have been waiting for 15 minutes!"
The pastor said, "Hey, here comes the greens keeper. Let's have a word with him."
"Hi, George. Say, what's with that group ahead of us? They're rather slow, aren't they?"
The greens keeper replied, "Oh, yes, that's a group of blind firefighters who lost their sight saving our clubhouse from a fire last year, so we always let them play for free anytime."
The group was silent for a moment. The pastor said, "That's so sad. I think I will say a special prayer for them tonight."
The doctor said, "Good idea. And I'm going to contact my ophthalmologist buddy and see if there's anything he can do for them."
Understanding Engineers - Take Four
There was an engineer who had an exceptional gift for fixing all things mechanical. After serving his company loyally for over 30 years, he happily retired. Several years later the company contacted him regarding a seemingly impossible problem they were having with one of their multi-million dollar machines. They had tried everything and everyone else to get the machine to work but to no avail. In desperation, they called on the retired engineer who had solved so many of their problems in the past. The engineer reluctantly took the challenge. He spent a day studying the huge machine.
Finally, at the end of the day, he marked a small "x" in chalk on a particular component of the machine and said, "This is where your problem is."
The part was replaced and the machine worked perfectly again. The company received a bill for $50,000 from the engineer for his service. They demanded an itemized accounting of his charges. The engineer responded briefly: One chalk mark $1; Knowing where to put it $49,999. It was paid in full and the engineer retired again in peace.
Understanding Engineers - Take Five
What is the difference between Mechanical Engineers and Civil Engineers?
Mechanical Engineers build weapons. Civil Engineers build targets.
Understanding Engineers - Take Six
Three engineering students were gathered together discussing the possible designers of the human body. One said, "It was a mechanical engineer. Just look at all the joints."
Another said, "No, it was an electrical engineer. The nervous system has many thousands of electrical connections."
The last said, "Actually it was a civil engineer. Who else would run a toxic waste pipeline through a recreational area?"
Understanding Engineers - Take Seven
"Normal people believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet."
Understanding Engineers - Take Eight
An architect, an artist and an engineer were discussing whether it was better to spend time with the wife or a mistress. The architect said he enjoyed time with his wife, building a solid foundation for an enduring relationship. The artist said he enjoyed time with his mistress, because of the passion and mystery he found there. The engineer said, "I like both."
"Both?" they asked.
Engineer: "Yeah. If you have a wife and a mistress, they will each assume you are spending time with the other woman, and you can go to the lab and get some work done."
Understanding Engineers - Take Nine
An engineer was crossing a road one day when a frog called out to him and said, "If you kiss me, I'll turn into a beautiful princess." He bent over, picked up the frog and put it in his pocket. The frog spoke up again and said, "If you kiss me and turn me back into a beautiful princess, I will stay with you for one week." The engineer took the frog out of his pocket, smiled at it and returned it to the pocket. The frog then cried out, "If you kiss me and turn me back into a princess, I'll stay with you and do ANYTHING you want." Again the engineer took the frog out, smiled at it, and put it back into his pocket. Finally, the frog asked, "What is the matter? I've told you I'm a beautiful princess; that I'll stay with you for a weekend and do anything you want. Why won't you kiss me?"
The engineer said; "Look, I'm an engineer. I don't have time for a girlfriend, but a talking frog, now that's cool."

I like take three, that's exactly what I would have said. :D

Purdue University BS Computer Technology 88' (after changing majors from Nuclear Engineering)
University of Nebraska - Omaha - MBA 95'
Contemplating getting another masters degree...but it might interfere with brewing.

Technically not an engineer but a low voltage designer however the building is full of electical and mechanical engineers that don't understand what I do so they consider me an engineer in my field. Does that make sense?

Understanding Engineers - Take Three[/B]

Not an Engineer. I put the wet stuff on the red stuff. Fire Captain/Paramedic 24 years and counting.

Occasionally play golf. Not blind.:D

Purdue University BS Computer Technology 88' (after changing majors from Nuclear Engineering)
University of Nebraska - Omaha - MBA 95'
Contemplating getting another masters degree...but it might interfere with brewing.

Dude, go for a PhD in Criminal Justice. Plenty of time for brewing.
(says the guy who'll graduate in 2-12 more years...)

Dude, go for a PhD in Criminal Justice. Plenty of time for brewing.
(says the guy who'll graduate in 2-12 more years...)

well it's a growth industry so you might be on to something! Don't know about a Piled higher 'n Deeper though. Might be curious to see how much undergrad stuff I'd have to do to make up for missing background.

well it's a growth industry so you might be on to something! Don't know about a Piled higher 'n Deeper though. Might be curious to see how much undergrad stuff I'd have to do to make up for missing background.

I was accepted into a top PhD program with only a minor in CJ (though I did have job experience with the DoD, but I doubt that counted for much).

It's becoming obvious from this poll and people's descriptions of their jobs that the word "Engineer" has become a one size fits all term designed to make ordinary jobs look more interesting.

The official title of my first job I had after I finished my carpentry an joinery apprenticeship was "After sales service engineer".........I fixed leaky windows and replaced bad double glazed units. :eek:

I work as a financial engineer ....... (accountant) lol

Couldn't resist.

13991.jpg

Graduate degree in literature and book editor by profession.

On the other hand this morning I was calculating formulas for the specific temperature of grain, so that counts for something, right?

I wonder how closely this poll represents all people who brew? I definitely want to dig in and understand all of the details in most things I do, including hobbies. I think a lot of engineers have that trait. In the process of trying to learn everything, I'd assume they join forums to found out their knowledge. Also, many engineers tend to be computer nerds. I'd bet many detail/procedure/technically-oriented forums have a lot of engineers on them.

Paramedic, but I've taken a lot of science and math (way more than I need for my job, but comes in handy for brewing).

Back