Afraid of my Glass!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Henny

Reaction score
Got a 5 gallon glass carboy the other day, heck it was free. Made a batch of brew and upon lifting it almost dropped it! I have better bottles for my other fermentors, but heh, I wasn't going to turn down free.

So get this, I almost dropped it (slippery) moving from one counter in the kitchen to another, then I almost dropped it AGAIN moving from upstairs to downstairs.

Is this a sign? Should I just get rid of this Italian POS before i DO drop it?

Anyways, my feeling is this was a warning shot and of course I drink (heavily) while I brew,,,

So, after I transfer from primary, I think I will "recycle" my glass carboy and buy another BB.

Get a G@D damned milk crate! :p

And stop monkeying around trying to freehand carry a glass disaster. Your insurance premiums will thank you.

Sell it and get a Better Bottle. You arteries will thank me later. :D

I think I will EdWort, but I am also afraid this carboy may be possessed. I am thinking of just recycling this f***er after my brew is ready.

Really, $35.00 for a BB is a good deal.

I use my glass carboy exclusively for Apfelwein. Having to deal with the glass helps me leave it alone longer. :p

I just kegged my first batch from August tonight and threw together my second.

Step away from the glass!

Ermm... until you've sobered up and have had your coffee. I get a bit buzzed during brewday, but keep it under control because there are two things - glass and hot liquids - that can kick the crap outta me if I get too wasted.

Seriously, I like glass - it's invaluable for secondary and I can primary for a month and not worry about it. I do need to... aquire... some milk crates, but for now, gentle handling does the deed.

Is this a sign? Should I just get rid of this Italian POS before i DO drop it?

Why is the carboy a pos if you can't hang on to it? I have been using glass and better bottles, and I prefer glass, you can't touch or move a stinking bb without blowing or sucking your airlock dry. Glass rules, but it's not for everyone.

I love glass, it's all I use! Got them for free too. I have a carboy handle on one of them, but just be careful and you'll be fine. I usually put one hand on the bottom of the carboy and wrap my hand around the neck with the other one. Never had a problem, or a slip, or anything. When I buy more, I'll probably go with better bottles just for variety, but I love my glass!

When I first started making wine a couple years ago(now beer) I bought 3 glass carboys and everyone of them cracked. My LBHS traded my out for 3 more and guess what they cracked, so they took those back and hooked me up with Better Bottles. SCREW GLASS they break and are dangerous.

When I first started making wine a couple years ago(now beer) I bought 3 glass carboys and everyone of them cracked. My LBHS traded my out for 3 more and guess what they cracked, so they took those back and hooked me up with Better Bottles. SCREW GLASS they break and are dangerous.

Only if handled improperly.

If you are normally drunk while brewing then sell the darn thing to someone who won't break it and buy a better bottle.

I use glass for almost everything but I have milk crates and will soon be buying a carboy hauler (to then replicate myself..) and I normally have one beer during a whole AG batch.

I will buy better bottles in the future to primary in, but I have plenty of carboys at the moment (And one 8 gallon plastic fermenter)

I have 4 glass carboys and 1 BB and i'm about ready to recycle the BB. I love my glass!!

I just put them in a milk crate before moving and I have no issues at all.

+1 on Ale pails.... oh wait. I guess I'm the first on in this thread.

But really. I have 5 ale pails and primary for 3-5 weeks, no problems. They are only about $10 to replace and don't cut me if I drop them.

Sure, I don't get the cool visuals, but that helps me to leave them alone and forget they are there.

I use glass for almost everything but I have milk crates and will soon be buying a carboy hauler (to then replicate myself..) and I normally have one beer during a whole AG batch.

I usually only have about one beer while brewing also, and a lot of the time I forget about it until I'm done. It's not that I have too much going on, I just really enjoy brewing, and don't really think about much else while I'm doing it.

I use glass and BB's, and actually prefer the glass just because it's easier to clean because I can use my carboy brush on it. BB's are WAY lighter and less shattery when dropped, but I like knowing that I can't easily scratch the glass and give bacteria a place to hide and I have a carboy hauler. With a carboy hauler, it really is just a matter of a little more weight because you aren't likely to drop one of those.

I have a glass carboy and a better bottle, both 6 gal. I much prefer the glass. The better bottle feels like a toy. It may be a bit easier to move around, but I feel like the glass is more substantial, and using it encourages me to think through whatever I'm about to do with it before I actually do it.

Also, get a Brew Hauler for moving them around, and don't try it while drinking!

I have a couple glass and a couple BB's, but I just found out that a couple of the water bottles at work are #1 PET and I can have them for $5 a piece!!!

I don't have any trouble moving my full 5 and 6-gallon glass carboys. I would like to get a handle or sling or something to have other people use -- if I ever let other people move them, that is.

Back