Element position in kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I am reviving this thread to ask basically the same question but with regards to the boil kettle.
I'm thinking I'll pull the trigger on another Bayou classic 1064, which is the exact kettle that gave me fits with regards to the weldless fitting. However, in the boil kettle, if the element is sitting up above the lip, which means the bottom of the element would start at approximately the 3 gallon mark of the kettle, is that okay? In theory, I should always have at the very least 4 gallons of wort to transfer into my fermenter and that is if something goes kind of wrong in terms of volumes. So is the element sitting that high in the BK a problem at all?

So I am reviving this thread to ask basically the same question but with regards to the boil kettle.
I'm thinking I'll pull the trigger on another Bayou classic 1064, which is the exact kettle that gave me fits with regards to the weldless fitting. However, in the boil kettle, if the element is sitting up above the lip, which means the bottom of the element would start at approximately the 3 gallon mark of the kettle, is that okay? In theory, I should always have at the very least 4 gallons of wort to transfer into my fermenter and that is if something goes kind of wrong in terms of volumes. So is the element sitting that high in the BK a problem at all?

That's about where the element in my BK is. No problem. 5g batches are fine.

The only possible issue is if you want to install a false bottom in your BK. I don't do that, but I know some brewers who use leaf hops exclusively have used a false bottom. Pretty hard I'd imagine getting it in there with the element in the way unless the element was up higher.

Wonderful. Although I just outfitted my BK, I would prefer to move to this kettle with a better height to width ratio and such. Thank you. :)

I'm thinking I'll pull the trigger on another Bayou classic 1064, which is the exact kettle that gave me fits with regards to the weldless fitting.

Don't make the same mistake twice..........
Get a "Concord" kettle instead.

Don't make the same mistake twice..........
Get a "Concord" kettle instead.

I have one now. I don't like that it is wider than it is taller. It's a 15 gallon. Is concord making one that is different where it is taller and not wider? Is it a mistake to have the element that high? It seems in a BK it wouldn't be an issue unless I wanted to brew less than 5 gallons, which I won't do on this system anyway.

Back