Fredericksburg Brewing Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeRoux's Broux

Reaction score
5 Gallons, extract w/ grains (all-grain option at bottom)

6.6 lbs. Northwestern Gold Malt extract syrup
10 oz Hugh Baird Carastan malt
10 oz. Muncih malt
7 oz. chocolate malt
5 oz. crystal malt (120 L)
1 oz. roasted black barley
3 AAU Northern Brewer hops (bittering) (0.33 oz. of 9.0% alpha acid)
2.5 AAU Willamette hops (flavor) (0.5 oz. of 5.0% alpha acid)
2.4 AAU Goldings hops (aroma) (0.5 oz. 4.8% alpha acid)
1 tsp Irish Moss
White Labs WLP001 (California Ale) yeast or Wyeeast 1056 (American Ale)
0.75 cup of corn sugar for priming
OG=1.054 FG=1.012 IBUs=14-16 ABV=5.5%

Steep crushed grains in three gallons of water @ 150 degrees for 30 minutes. Remove grains from the wort, ad malt syrup and bringto a boil.

Add the Northern Brewer (bittering) hops and the Irish moss and boil for 60 minutes. Add Willamette hops (flavor) for the last 20 minutes of the boil. Add Goldings hops (aroma) for the last two minutes of the boil.

When you are done boiling, strain out the hops and add the cooled wort to two gallons of water in a sanitized fermenter. Top off with cool water to 5.5 gallons. Cool wort to 80 dgrees, aerate the wort, and pitch your yeast. Allow the wort to cool over the next few hours to 68-70 degrees and ferment for 10-14 days. Bottle your beer, let age for two to three weeks and enjoy!

All-grain option
Replace the light malt syrup with 8.25 lbs. of pale malt. Mash all your grains at 155 degrees for 45 minutes. Collect enough wort to boil for 90 minutes and have 5.5-gallon yeild. Decrease the amount of bittering hops to 0.25 oz. of Northern Brewer to acount for the increased hop extraction efficiency that comes with a full-wort boil. The remainder of the all-grain recipe is the same as the extract recipe.

This was in the May-June 2002 issue of Brew Your Own, and submitted by Fredericksburg Bbrewing Company head brewer Rick Green. This is a brown porter style, due to lower volume of specialty malts. More on the mellow side than, as compared to the robust or American style Porters.

Cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

thanks for digging that up. i dont know if it was for me or not, but i appreciate the effort if it was.

i

Back