Preparing for first brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dajjj221

Reaction score
Hey everyone, this is my first post and preparing for my first brew. Iv'e been reading John Palmer's "how to brew". I bought a kit from brewers best for a Dortmunder style beer. Anyone tried this one? My first concern is that i dont think im really set up to do this as a lager, it does have directions to brew it as an ale, but wonder how much of difference in taste that i will be sacraficing when i brew it as an ale. Second, the kit includes a package of dry lagar yeast "Saflager W-34/70" it appears to have an expiration date on the bottom, "07 2010". It appears to be expired, should i be concerned?

Get a different packet of yeast and ferment as an ale. Maybe something like Nottingham and ferment as low as you can. In the low 60's hopefully....

For the cost of a new packet, get a new one in case your yeast is non-viable.

B

Did you get the kit online or from a local shop? I just did a rauchbier that had the same date on the yeast package. I took the yeast to the shop i bought it from and he gave me fresh new yeast for free.

I think all or almost all BB kits are designed to be ales(top fermented) even their lagers/kolschs/etc.

If you bought this kit with expired yeast, then the entire kit is probably old and needs to be returned, you shouldn't be sold this sort of thing.

yeah, i shot an email to the place i got it from, who knows maybe they'll replace it for free....I didnt see any exp dates on the other stuff but it makes me wonder now. I bought the stuff in San Antonio, i live bout 2.5 hours from there

Back