Steeping? call me stupid im new at this

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctbrewer227

Reaction score
I already brewed my first batch and all I can say is im addicted. What I was wondering about for my next batch is with steeping grains on my first batch I brought water to 155 degress then tossed the bag in and steeped for half hour keeping the temp between 145-150 is this the right way to do it or do you put the water and bag of grains in bring it up to 155 degress then turn off the heat and let it sit for 30 minutes or however long the recipe calls for??

Thanks

Either way will work, but the way you did it is the preferred way. A few degrees warmer wouldn't hurt, but your doing just fine.

A good way to keep the grains at a constant temp is to heat the oven on LOW. Then put the pot into the oven and turn the oven off. The residule heat will keep things nice and warm.

I did turn off the heat after the water came to 170*. I think I lost a degree or 2. Seemed to work ok for the Irish Red I was brewing. :mug:

The first grain steep I did, the directions said to bring the water up to 150°F, add the grains. Then bring the water to a boil and remove the grains around the 30 minute mark. I almost named that brew "Green Acorn Ale".
Keep your water around 155°F for the duration of the steep, and try to stay below the 170°F threshold.

Should be ok but watch the temp, you can get some interesting flavors from steeping at higher temps and i think this can also cause the release of unwanted "tanons" (sp?).

+1 to that!! On my electric glass top stove I found when I hit 170 (or 160 or whatever) and turn off the range I can get 15 more degrees if I do not take it off the burner.

I can tell ya about tannins! LOL

I usually steep mine at about 155 for 30 minutes. I can usually put mine on high and bring it up to about 160, and then just turn it off and it stays at about the right temp. Usually I'll take a separate pot and bring some additional water to about 170, and use that to rinse the grain bag when I'm done.

When steeping tea leaves or coffee you usually let the water come to temp then throw in you tea or coffee. I do the same thing when steeping grains.

Stupid,

I was wondering the same thing, but from what Ive read anywhere between 150-170 for steeping grains. So, I use 160ish unless the recipe gives the exact temperature. On my first batch I put the grains in and waited till it was almost boiling then took them out. My next batch I actually used the thermometer and kept a steady 165 for 20 minutes. I will let you know if I can tell a difference between the two

Back