Smaller Batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DieselJohnny

Reaction score
All:

1) I was wondering if it is feasible to brew beer in lower quantities. There appears to be 3, 5, and 6.5 carboys; but what about using a 1 gal jug? Could recipes be altered to account for say a 1/5 conversion? Are there any problems with this?

The reason I want to brew smaller batches is so that I can experiment with different types of brews. My wife doesn't drink much beer, so having 50+ bottles of beer around every time I brew will hinder my ability to try new brews. Once I get the hang of it, I'll probably jump up to the larger quantities fermentors.

2) Along those lines, is there a maximum amount of space you can't exceed in the primary fermentor between the brew and the top. I've only seen 2g pail fermentors as the next closest to 1g. So would there be to much space to brew 1g of liquid in a 2g primary fermentor?

I'm obviously new to home brewing, so I apologize if I'm at all confusing.

Thanks for your insights.

A 2 gallon pail will work perfect for a one gallon batch. I know what you mean about having 50+ bottles around. I am dropping down to smaller batched also.

A lot of us do it...One thing you can do is experiment with doing all grain n your stovetop with an unmodified 2 gallon cooler and a 5 gallon pot...

I posted some recipes in the MR beer thread for that....

Do a search for small batches...there's been a bunch of threads recently.

i just brewed a a batch that is .70 gallons, the brew time was cut in half. I used two 1/2 gallon Rogue Dead Guy bottles. A good way to experiment with malts and hops. I just put the small batch in a keg and carb it the same way I would for 5 gallons. You can do this or start drinking more...

I find it takes me about zero time to go through a 2.5 gallon batch, so you might try doing 2.5 gallons in a 3 gal carboy or Mr Beer first, and then step down smaller if you find you want to. 2.5 gallons is convenient because you can do a full boil in a 3 gallon pot on the stove top, you can mash in a small cooler with a grain bag (I use a 5 gal paint strainer bag), and you can take any 5 gallon recipe and simply divide everything in half, which keeps the math simple.

I find it takes me about zero time to go through a 2.5 gallon batch, so you might try doing 2.5 gallons in a 3 gal carboy or Mr Beer first, and then step down smaller if you find you want to. 2.5 gallons is convenient because you can do a full boil in a 3 gallon pot on the stove top, you can mash in a small cooler with a grain bag (I use a 5 gal paint strainer bag), and you can take any 5 gallon recipe and simply divide everything in half, which keeps the math simple.

I agree, I don't know that I would ever go any lower than 2.5 gallons...

Like this one?
Janitorial & Painting > Equipment & Supplies > Painting Tools > Reusable Paint Strainer,Size 5 Gal,Pk 2 : Grainger Industrial Supply

Back